How residents of the Far North villages wash clothes without water and sewage

Many of the benefits of civilization, which we consider familiar, are still inaccessible to the inhabitants of various places on the planet. And today we propose to get acquainted with the life of the inhabitants of the North. For these harsh people, even a washing machine without running water is a common thing. After all, there is often no water supply and sewerage system.

Washing machine without running water “I regularly find myself in the Far North. And every time I am surprised at the conditions in which local residents have to survive. I am amazed how they manage to get out and adapt to a normal life without basic amenities, ”says Vadim.

GettyImages “Even residents of the Urals or Siberia are accustomed to such benefits as a toilet with a sewer, cold and hot water at any time of the day, a dishwasher, a washing machine. Conveniences that make any house in the village comparable in terms of comfort to a city apartment. "

“But the Far North and the Arctic are regions where the level of comfort I have described often seems fantastic. It is almost always winter here, severe frost and a lot of snow. There are no central water supply, heating and sewerage systems in the villages. If they were, they would freeze. "

“So we have to do with buckets, basins and barrels. To wash in primitive machines, to wash dishes by hand in cold water, and to dry things in cramped rooms. As if he went back to the past and saw how our ancestors lived. And with very minor improvements, ”the narrator is surprised.

“There is no need to talk about the usual washing machine, because it needs water from the mains, which is supplied under pressure. You can't connect a washing machine to a barrel or bucket. "

View this post on Instagram

Well, remember the time when there were no washing machines? #village #village life #washing hands #washing #housewife #self-isolation #countrydays #country life

A post shared by Svetlana (@levakova ._. Svetlana) on Apr 11, 2020 at 7:39 am PDT

“So all the inhabitants, without exception, dream of leaving in time in search of a better life. It is especially difficult for women. And after vacations on the “mainland”, people find it most difficult to cope with the stress of returning home. Therefore, many want to end up leaving the place they love. "

Irreplaceable assistant “But my recent trip to Taimyr has presented an interesting discovery. Visiting residents of a remote village, I noticed a brand new washing machine and at first did not even believe it. Really fake? But it turned out that this is a washing machine we are used to, albeit with a special tank. "

“This“ rustic ”version has a tank for 5-10 buckets. From here, household appliances take water for washing. And the drain is sold into any container substituted by the owners. All other familiar functions are in place. And a bunch of modes, and spinning and drying. It even consumes less water than an ordinary washing machine. "

“Yes, it turned out that such“ self-sufficient ”washing machines are more expensive. All because of the already mentioned reservoir, as well as the built-in pump, which creates the necessary pressure. But for a local resident cut off from the benefits of civilization, such a technique is a real salvation, ”Vadim said.

Indeed, getting such a modern washing machine is much better than washing things by hand. And the old Soviet washing machine loses significantly in terms of comfort here.

It should be noted that such household appliances will help out if you need to install the washing machine in the garage or in the country. And are there really few villages on the "mainland" itself, where there is no running water? Therefore, such a new-fashioned washing machine really will not be superfluous.

Photo on the preview and in the article

Tags

See also

New and interesting