6 the iron rules of English politeness, which is to take over all

Eighty three million three hundred two thousand one hundred ninety nine

Anthropologist Kate FOSS — true English. In the book "Watching the English. Hidden rules of behavior" she described English society from the inside.

The website lists the rules followed by the people of Albion. Maybe we should take some note?

The rule of apology

Kate spent a fun experiment: she'd accidentally collided with passers-by to check, sorry. In most cases she heard the apology.

The British in case of any accidental contact, say "excuse me", even if they were not the perpetrators of a collision. This does not mean that they blame themselves in the situation. Their excuses reflex, brought up in childhood.

The British apologize for any violation of someone else's head: "Excuse me, is this seat free?", "I'm sorry, but you seem to have tied up in my cloak." And has earned a reputation as the most polite nation in the world.

The rule of compliance with Any British queue queue anywhere — it is an even number of boundary-respecting people. If suddenly someone tries to get through the queue, the British are not doing him any points, but only significantly raise eyebrow, or a shrug. "Do not make a scene" — one of the iron rules of English. Man, and so humbled himself: Yes, he saved a few minutes, but not lost if the sense of self-esteem?

The rule is carelessness, the British refer to yourself and your successes with irony. Their diplomas are usually hanging somewhere on the wall in the toilet and they are taught from childhood "not to be too serious" attitude. A man with a big ego who loves to talk about his own achievements, is in danger of being subjected to ridicule.

The British won't bore the interviewee with his person. Instead of trying to interest his enumeration of his merits, they will wait when he will show them sincere interest.

The rule of modesty the English are no less ambitious than other Nations, but I think that to brag and put on airs — shameful. To show their status of not accepted: no clothes or the brand of the machine does not have to show that you surpass others.

Rule Dating the British religiously observe the right to privacy. "We do not keep sticking our nose in other people's Affairs," they proudly say about myself. It is not necessary to ask the Englishman questions about his work, marital status and number of children, if he first talks about it: it is a faux pas, like talking about money and wages.

The rule of talking about the weather

What can we say? The British mastered the art of small talk — conversation on neutral topics. And this talk is not some kind of formal nonsense, a common form of demonstration of goodwill. Not necessarily grimly silent, if you ride the Elevator with a neighbor. Why, for example, not to chitchat about the weather?

Despite the fact that the British were modest, their interlocutors, they are complimenting me right and left. For them it is not flattery, but simple courtesy. True English politeness.

According to the materials of Watching the English: The Hidden Rules of English Behaviour

See also
16 good reasons to love Australia from afar
In Italy women would provide paid leave for time critical days
Dress up as a stewardess in the top 12 airlines in the world

via www.adme.ru/svoboda-puteshestviya/10-mirovyh-aviakompanij-v-kotoryh-styuardessy-svodyat-s-uma-svoej-krasotoj-1493515/

Tags

See also

New and interesting