Wheelbarrow in the winter

On the territory of Russia the winter came. A summer gadgets are already on the shelves, waiting for spring next year. But sometimes on the streets, you notice insulated, zasobovanie and thrust of the cyclist. And in some places you can see and monoclinic (monocristal?). No matter how paradoxical it may seem, the operation of the monowheels in winter is possible, albeit with some peculiarities.

BatteryIf you look at the technical specifications of lithium-ion batteries 18650 of various companies, they usually specify that they are allowed to discharge to a temperature of -20° Celsius, and the charge is not below 0° C. the Problem is that, as we know, monowheels have regeneration, which charges the batteries with each braking. The body plastic is a fairly good conductor of heat, so the battery will cool despite the inevitable heating during charge/discharge. The cooling of the battery is clearly seen to reduce the reserve in autumn with decreasing temperature. The easiest way to insulate the batteries. Polyethylene foam is now available in different variants, perhaps the most accessible is tallent for Windows. It is also convenient because one surface has a weak adhesive by which the tape stays better.

My wheel, two layers of Teploseti on the sides and a single layer bottom

I decided to insulate the battery, hoping that the snow will fall later, and for a long time will be driving in near-zero temperatures. The law of meanness when I finished work and looked out the window — there is time to drop the permanent winter snow. However, that day I was able to ride well, to test the behavior of the wheel and drove, albeit slowly, in about 12 kilometers, and the charge remaining 72% was right for summer.

By the way, there is a certain sense, to occasionally conduct inspection of the wheel — for me it was an unpleasant surprise to find a frayed wire insulation:

Theoretically, this method has the danger that the batteries will overheat when charging wheel house. But charging low-power devices, usually at 2 amperes. The forum owners monowheels also have not been problems due to the insulation panels.

There is a more complex method is to put the battery heating element with thermostat and heating by connecting to the battery blisks or using external. But here, in my opinion, labor costs are rising disproportionately to the obtained effect.

WaterproofingSnow caught in the wheelbarrow, in the warmth begins to melt, and water is a serious threat to the electric machine. Different models monowheels different risk of water entering the hull. In one of the most unsuccessful, for example, the controller Board is on the radiator, which looks into the compartment of the wheel and is often badly fixed. Snow or mud in such a design is much easier to get into the body, and to be very close to the controller.

The dried sand on the controller Board

Very useful to know the design and the weaknesses of your blisks. In closed models, for example, snow can trambovetsky in the wheel compartment, and it is highly desirable, once in heat, his out to shake. The known history of wheel failure due to flooding of the controller or even the motor wheels (which will not work to seal), so it remains only to call for care and caution.

StuddingRegular tires monowheels is designed for summer city driving, so are slicks or polilical and is not intended for driving on ice. Therefore, in preparation for the winter some enthusiasts change a tire on studded. The situation is complicated by the fact that due to a rare diameters ready studded tires are rare, which can be screwed to the studs BestGrip type is good, but expensive (about 30 p), while studding with screws requires protection from puncture these screws in, for example, the entrance to the curb. Life hack — you can find and put a tyre smaller diameter on the inside studded with screws:

Also, different monowheels different case design and an extra space in the wheel compartment, and the protruding cleats or spikes may simply not fit into the case.

Wheel behaviorcontrol System blisks constantly trying to drive up under a rider, so blisks really do not like to slip. Alas, in the winter situation, it created much more frequently than in summer. However, based on feedback, quite often the monowheel is better than expected. I have perfectly been able to ride on the fresh wet snow, which was under the asphalt. Only at sharp turns it was felt that grip has gotten worse. But when after a week of snow-hitter much more, and the temperature rose above zero, then drive it really did not work in areas of snow and water traction is almost absent, and even on Packed snow wheel quite often started to slip.

Put LIKES and share with your FRIENDS!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCXd71u0w04qcwk32c8kY2BA/videos

Put LIKES and share with your FRIENDS!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCXd71u0w04qcwk32c8kY2BA/videos

Conclusionoverall, in winter, the blisks may well be used, but at distances up to about five kilometres or recreational purposes. To drive to work at the speed of public transport through the city will not succeed, but it is possible to get into the Park on the weekends or take a leisurely ride on roads that are not filled to full obstruction. published

Source: geektimes.ru/post/282906/

Tags

See also

New and interesting