Leo Babauta: What to replace harmful foods in your diet

Leo Babauta – author of the popular blog "Zen Habits" which Time magazine included in 2010 in the list of the top 35 blogs "without which we cannot live," wrote for those who become hostage to the crazy chaos of the modern rapidly changing life. He is convinced that the person lacks in its simplicity, the strength to cope with the mess and focus only on really important things.

To learn how to do this can be constantly changing my life and attitude. To change starting with small everyday habits that form a lifestyle. For example, to start running in the mornings, to give up the fast food and other harmful foods, opting for healthy food.

Everything the author writes, it is pre-experienced and shares own experience.

Of particular interest, because of the relevance of the topic for many people, cause a material about refusal from junk food. Below we have collected some notes blogger about how he managed if not to get rid of the habit of eating junk food, then at least to control it.

The philosophy of the struggle

In one of the articles Babauta tells Leo about a month of the experiment, during which he decided to refrain from eating all the salty, fried, sweet, etc. He even joked that, despite such restrictions, the menu continued to be quite diverse, not one boiled potatoes, foods rich in vegetable protein, and vegetables, as many might think. The exception served only a glass of red wine at night and one day a week when you can eat it all.

The challenge itself was a great motivation, and more than 3 weeks Leo confidently followed him, although at times the brain and "made" attempts to convince him otherwise. But the experiment failed. At the end of the month the author was waiting for a move to a new home, and a lot of hard work destroyed reserves of self-control, with the result that he began to bite everyone that came by.

However, during this period he learned some valuable lessons about the tricks and way of thinking that we are limited, forcing himself to suffer even from the theoretical to the inability to eat a cheeseburger or chocolate. Their understanding makes the process of eliminating junk food a little easier.

So, the author noticed that we are becoming hostage to their beliefs, even is not entirely true. This is also true in the case of food. We are so used to the pleasure of food that begin to feel dejected, if forced to abandon it. One thought about the fact that now, for example, need to eat some vegetables, awakens in man the rebel or causes him to fall into depression. As a result, all ends predictably – going to the fast food establishment.

To cope with this, it is important to prioritize and see the deprivation and benefits. Also it is worth to change their habits is to stop rewarding yourself with food, go on Friday or after salaries for a pizza, etc.

The main advantage of fast food is that it's "fast" food. When you are tired and beat up coming home after a hard day, time, and desire, to cook something useful, no. In this case, it is important not to be deceived and to remember that even a banal sandwich, cooked in haste can be useful if instead of mayonnaise and sausage to put in it the salad and the breast.

One more observation: healthy food seems tasteless only the first week, and then begin to understand that it is not. At the same time, can manifest problems with motivation and productivity, especially if you are used to complete important things for dinner, then went to the nearest café to eat. To overcome such a habit can be very difficult, but in terms of its "content" is not limited. In addition, the sense of loss will not be permanent. With time develop into a new routine, and you'll be less likely to give preference to something harmful.

It is also important to learn to curb your desire to eat. Eliminate distraction on such thoughts, instead focus on executing what busy. Possibly make it so that you could not reach food odors, do not bring in a bag a couple of chocolates, even if you want to test their own willpower. Try not to be alone in such moments, "break" easier.

And finally, almost the main conclusion. You should never try to turn my life upside down at once. The main mistake Leo considers planning for multiple global things at the same time. In his case, it was an experiment with the transition to a healthy diet, start training and dieting, writing books, preparing several reports, the move to a new home. As a result, this employment leads to think about the dangers and benefits of eating simply no time. And understand that after eat the third Burger.

The transition to healthy eating for the 12 steps

If you are firm in your decision to follow the principles of healthy eating and are willing to go against the habits, Leo Babauta offers to stick to simple and well-known algorithm of the transition. It is described in the article, which is translated into the Russian language, therefore we will give here only the most important, in our view, part of it. Namely, how to exclude and replace the usual us food to useful products.

1. Snack on fruits. If you like to snack during the day, keep fruit. Just that – eat fruit. Put it in your backpack some apples with them, you will not be able to do wrong.

2. Drink water instead of lemonade. The only thing I drink (besides beer sometimes) is water. I certainly do not insist, but it would be nice to try to replace sugary drinks with water.

3. Eat bread made from whole (unprocessed) grains. If you eat white bread, replace it with bread baked from whole grain, bran or grain of sprouted wheat.

4. Add fresh vegetables for dinner. If no fresh, use boiled vegetables instead of side dish.

5. Refrain from red meat. You can still eat poultry and seafood. Later, if you want to be able to delete them.

6. Instead of order, make the pizza yourself.

7. Nuts instead of potato chips. If you love to eat chips, replace them with peanuts or almonds. Only without salt.

8. Nut milk instead of whole. Whole milk is too fatty (I'm not talking about the suffering of the unfortunate cows in modern milking plants). Nut milk is much healthier. You quickly get used to it like anything from this list. However, if such milk is not acceptable, let it be a cow.

9. Cereals from whole grains. If you like sweet porridge made from ground cereals or cereals, replace them with porridge whole grain.

10. Berries instead of candy. This is my recent achievement and it was much easier than I thought. Before, I always threw in the mouth chocolates, but now to satisfy my sugar cravings, I eat berries. And it works great!

Also interesting: All You need to know about tofu

Vegetarian meals every day

11. Scrambled tofu instead of scrambled eggs. Scrambled eggs or scrambled tofu – amazing secret vegans.

12. Try different vegetarian dishes. Among them comes a ton of tasty food. I'm sure you will find something for themselves.published

P. S. And remember, only by changing their consumption — together we change the world! ©

Source: 4brain.ru/blog/%D0%B1%D0%BE%D1%80%D1%8C%D0%B1%D0%B0-%D1%81-%D0%B2%D1%80%D0%B5%D0%B4%D0%BD%D0%BE%D0%B9-%D0%B5%D0%B4%D0%BE%D0%B9-%D0%BB%D0%B5%D0%BE-%D0%B1%D0%B0%D0%B1%D0%B0%D1%83%D1%82%D0%B0/

Tags

See also

New and interesting