BMW i3 electric car will transfer to hydrogen

A joint project of Toyota and BMW to create a sports car can be extended to other areas of the industry. For example, the electric car BMW i3 may get an alternative powerplant – this time hydrogen, borrowing it from the Toyota FCV.

That Toyota and BMW discuss possible collaboration in the field of alternative fuel Motoring portal said one of the representatives of the branch of Toyota in the United States Craig Scott. According to him, it is unclear whether borrow the Bavarians almost ready to trade the Japanese hydrogen power plant. The main question to be addressed by the engineers of BMW, composing Japanese design and own the electric car, is security. Accordingly, a decision can be made only after testing prototypes.

Thus, as Scott suspects, the Bavarian engineers have strengthened the design of the BMW i3 mainly in order to preclude damage to the fuel tank with the hydrogen in the event of an accident.

If the Bavarians will be able to solve layout problems, the hydrogen BMW i3 could become the first mass BMW car with such a powertrain. Toyota, in turn, plans to begin European sales of its hydrogen sedan in the U.S. and Europe next year. The sedan, which, according to rumors, will be named the Mirai, will be priced at least $ 70 000.

Source: newsland.com

Tags

See also

New and interesting