9 the most enduring myths about freelancers

Again and again I hear from people who are interested in freelancing, working for yourself is to walk in the Park and enjoy the freedom. In the literal sense of the word. Let me explain this in more detail and will help you get back to reality.

Myth # 1 You can work at home and in shorts!

Reality: the Only reason you work in your underwear — what's that you're so busy that you have no time to dress... for four consecutive days. And then there's your mother going to visit, and you remember that all those four days since I washed the dishes and took shower.

Myth # 2Freelancing you can earn a lot of money! Reality: Wait to buy this 50-meter yacht. Yes, freelancers can charge clients decent money, but these earnings must cover ALL your expenses, including computers, phones, software, chairs, website hosting, etc. etc. Yet you need to think about insurance, savings and investment, and a significant portion of your hard-earned money you give to the government.

Myth # 3No boss means no stress!Reality: You hire the customers that give you money and expect results from you. These are your new bosses. And instead of one boss, you now have dozens. They all want your time, your attention, and that you have answered all their 14 letters right now. Yes, you are your own boss — but you have to report to a bunch of other people.

Myth # 4you are now all free!Reality: Well, Yes, theoretically you can Wednesday afternoon to score at all, drink all day watching soap operas. But if you are not working, not earning. Therefore, the majority of freelancers work more than 40 hours a week — just not to work for someone else.

Myth # 5 Job now does not quite work — because you are doing something cool!Reality: Until someone smart enough to watch soap operas all day for the money, the work itself is still working, and serious. Especially in the beginning — you have to work harder than ever because you now have the task is not only to do the work, but to LOOK for work. And this takes time. A lot of time. But please, someone help me make watching the series on Netflix...

Myth # 6no More rules and bureaucracy!Reality: All the tediousness that accompanies corporate development, is now replaced by another situation: you do EVERYTHING. The processing of payments, accounting, legal issues, sales, marketing, project management... but you still have the work to do.

Myth # 7Now finally you can become a lone wolf!Reality: Singles and introverts are sometimes attracted to freelancing. They imagine sitting alone all day, listening to Sigur Rós, and they do not need to speak to anyone. Unfortunately, customers want to communicate with you, and create a personal brand and promote their services requires a large number of contacts with people. Lock yourself in your fortress and wait for work to come to you? Not going to work.

Myth # 8Freelancing is perfect for people who lack discipline!Reality: Many are interested in freelancing, because I do not want to be accountable to someone. But if you always sum up the boss, then work for yourself you will not succeed. Now after you no one will monitor and check if you work. Just you will have angry customers who will never pay because you failed all the deadlines.

Myth # 9All you need is a website!The reality: Too many beginning freelancers think that a site with their portfolio is a printing press that makes money. Started the website — and come on, count your blessings! That's complete nonsense. If the right people don't Finance your website, do not trust your work and don't understand the problem you solve — your website will just gather dust somewhere in the corner.

Don't get me wrong: working for yourself may be the right choice in your life. But only if you do it right. That is, you have to give it a lot of effort.

And now I'm back to writing articles in his underpants, enjoying the idleness in his 50-meter yacht... posted

Author: Paul Jarvis

P. S. And remember, only by changing their consumption — together we change the world! © Join us at Facebook , Vkontakte, Odnoklassniki

Source: ideanomics.ru/?p=4766

Tags

See also

New and interesting