The effect of the ladder: when could say a lot but did not say

In French there is a phrase Esprit d'escalier (Esprit d eskal'e), unique in the Russian language there. You can translate it literally as "spirit of the staircase" or "staircase".

The French it means the way it feels after a conversation or dispute, when they could say a lot but did not say, and remembered or effectively formulated only now.

For example, at a party someone offends. I need you to answer. When you look at all, when you pressure, you say something lame. But then you leave a party, and it was at that moment when you start to descend the stairs suddenly a miracle happened. You come to mind the perfect answer. And this is the final humiliation.

I also faced with this loose translation – "smart ladder". He very accurately describes the situation.

Below is a good example of how the Esprit d eskal'e came on time, and not waiting for the moment his usual appearance.

Karsten, Bredemeier – author of the wonderful and useful books "Black rhetoric":

"I once had to make a presentation on practices of visualization. The participants nodded approvingly, and the faces I read satisfaction from heard. My personal perception of the audience during the presentation was this: "You are great! Suitable topic, the presentation is compelling."

At the end of report I proposed a discussion. In the hall stood the microphones, so that the interactivity of the situation was provided. The first one of the back rows raised a man, a typical sight on the head. He imposingly strode into the middle of the hall and stood an impressive pause, waiting for it focuses the attention of all those present.

And then began a voice full of sarcasm and derogatory irony: "Mr. Bredemeier, my compliments. (Pause!) I sincerely congratulate you on the fact that your report did you manage to completely destroy this highly interesting topic." Then he turned and slowly headed for the exit.

Me as a butt on a head hit, I did not expect, and it absolutely does not match my impression from the audience, which, apparently, belonged to my report with interest and participation.

After I somewhat recovered from this attack from this unexpected verbal punch, I came up with a quote I read in my youth and forever imprinted in the memory.

And I'm loud and surprisingly solid voice (although my knees were shaking) threw him after this quote: "Max Frisch once said: "If you think you know the truth, give her to someone else as a coat serves to make it easier to put it on, and not poke it in his nose, like a wet handkerchief". In this case it was a wet handkerchief, sorry!"

Everyone held their breath, my opponent froze in place... And then burst into thunderous applause from the other participants of the forum".published

Author: Sergey Dubovik

P. S. And remember, only by changing their consumption — together we change the world! ©

Join us in Facebook , Vkontakte, Odnoklassniki

Source: sergey-dubovik.livejournal.com/5349.html

Tags

See also

New and interesting