The attention deficit epidemic of our time

The main problem of our time not even stress and depression, and difficulties with focusing attention, or just the attention deficit. I think that the Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) put only to children who fail at school? Yes, when the intensity of life has for all of us, you can safely put this syndrome and prescribed antipsychotics. The more cases and the more urgent they are, the stronger we are experiencing, but we continue to do something is also important and interesting, but not what you need right now.

Legends say that Julius Caesar could do three things at the same time — that would be us these abilities, it would be to disassemble all blockages at work or school, you think. Actually, we all not only know how to do several things at once, but not regularly doing it.

We can talk on the phone while you drive, we can simultaneously read and listen to music. The problem is that we used to live and work with great intensity, and when the task requires a calm and steady focus, we simply can't slow down. We're trying to read, but our brain continues to ruminate in the background on other tasks, periodically throwing "urgent and important ideas," such as checking the tape on Facebook.

Distracted for a moment on the social network, we immediately get another super urgent idea: what's in the mail, and have received a reply according to that project, etc. the Brain, without reducing the intensity continues to work at breakneck speed, but that our productivity only falls.

Learn how to quickly switch from mode dynamic ambiguity in the mode of continuous concentration on one thing is difficult, but possible. Below I offer you a set of specific recommendations that will help to cope with one of the most important problems of the modern world — attention deficit.

You can put an extra load on our brain background task

Very good at helping calm listening to familiar music without words while reading, for example. Emotions consume our mental resources. That is why we postpone things, suffer because of this, are going through, and when there is very little time, we find strength to undertake and do.

Just experiences supplanted the balance of unrealized possibilities, and nothing to us is not impeded. The main objective plus experience due to the failure of the time took 100% of the resources of our brain. Sitting on a boring lecture at University, you can simply try to outline. This understanding is useful and resources will be enough barely to hear, understand and record. The brain will be occupied completely, and nothing will distract.

Similarly, you can keep my attention for long meetings — to note interesting in the speeches of his colleagues and in parallel to prepare the abstract for his speech. If word comes to you, then you will have your plan ready argument.

You can raise the intensity of the task

In the example of reading boring texts, you can offer to read faster, to read, slightly pronouncing the text out loud. In this case, you need not put an extra load on the brain something neutral and keep the tempo at which there will be no room for other thoughts and control external stimuli, such as listening to others ' conversations.

This option is a bit more complicated. As the pace slowed down a little, we immediately switch to another task. When I write articles, often for quite a long time I reflect on an interesting subject while performing other tasks. While walking, cooking, road to work or home. In the end, the thoughts and ideas going quite a lot.

At some point, sit down, put their notes and sketches, and sit down to write. If the idea is already quite deep, it only remains to record. The intensity of work increases greatly, nothing distracting. And if lost thought or any distractions, you can always look at your drafts and easy to continue.

You can reduce the temp

Why race, why force yourself to live and work in such a grueling pace. Productivity from assignment million things at once is not growing. It just lost the ability to focus on a task and see it through to the end. To start a million things to easy, but the finish not everyone can. Unfortunately, the pace of life is such that you want — not want, but by mid-day my nerves are strung a million questions and answered calls.

It is very difficult to slow down. Calm down and start again, something to do steadily. I personally try important cases that require additional attention, to plan for the morning. Yet not much cheered by the workers problems, yet all came to work, come early and have time in the morning to do what had to be postponed. And then you can do the usual office routine.

Insights

If you look at people with Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), their main problem is a poorly functioning inhibitory functions of the nervous system. They can cope with the task, when given pace, but as soon as the temp drops, you can switch and forget what I was doing.

I had a friend who surprisingly could very well ride a bike with great speeds, but when I had to go all along in the stream, it could then curb bump, then go the wrong way, and sometimes even forget where I was going and why.

I was curious, and I've asked him how he lives with this difficult syndrome, and what technology uses for successful concentration on current tasks. Yes, of course, to a full diagnosis of ADHD, all of us still very far away, but I chose a few guidelines that we can use as a prevention or just to improve their quality of life:

Self-organization

Personally I really helps during high stress to-do list in a paper notebook. Usually in the evening before going to bed, when a little rested and calmed down, I took out my notebook, crossed out what's already been done or is not true and write a new task. You do not need to try to pace yourself a running horse. All tasks should be measured and for the outstanding task is not to blame, just copy it to a new page in the next day or week. Sometimes the task that has not started yet, just delete as no longer relevant. If a few weeks it was possible not to do that, then maybe you don't want to do.

Control your impulsiveness

For a person with ADHD is a huge problem. Some are so impulsive that you can't read the price tag on the product and think it needed it or not. She just goes and buys under the influence of momentary impulse. Ordinary people is expressed a little calmer. I sometimes, especially when you read long boring text, it begins to want urgently to do something. Check email, write a letter, to see if there are any I need people to Skype. I usually try not to get distracted and keep reading.

These pulses are very short and if you will win, you can keep my attention. But it often happens that reading is something you keep, but the meaning is lost. Nothing, doubled back and read again. Yes, it happens that a piece you have to read several times. As they say, look at the book and see Fig. While the impulse to do something else will not work, it is difficult to take in the task. Over time, this becomes very easy — 20-30 minutes doing something important, and then give yourself a "rest" that are permitted to be distracted by all that so like 10-20 minutes.

Learn to escape

The inability to reduce the pace of its neural activity due to the fact that in the nature of increased neural activity moved to more physical activity. Stress, threat, need something to do — ran. Need to drive the beast, to coordinate actions with many others, set a tremendous pace, but in the end it all turned into physical activity.

Now our work can often require increased mental activity, but do not involve physical action. So you need to consider your own "fresh air", your own way to take accumulated, but unused energy. Someone helps active sports, some like meditation and yoga. You just need to choose what's good for you, and expertly alternate between physical and mental stress.

To learn to concentrate

The ability to concentrate — the same skill, like many others. Try to observe yourself. In what situations do you find it easier to focus and on what tasks. No need to try to focus 100% of our brain is always working in condition of multi-tasking. Try not to think on other topics and not be distracted to anything will not lead, but to fight with yourself.

We can manage your thoughts that revolve in our minds, and impulsive distracting ideas come from the subconscious; to manage them we can't. The best condition that you need to learn is the "flow" state, when the subconscious and conscious work together. Then thoughts and ideas are flowing freely and naturally, nothing distracting and it turns out very productive work.

Greg McKeown about how to Prioritize in life

Configured on poverty people: 10 signs

To influence our subconscious mind can only a regular repetition, then that begins to be deposited already in the subconscious, as the skills as habits. Regularly remembering and reflecting on the upcoming project, we encourage your brain to tune in to this work and to throw impetuous ideas on work, not distractions. To work on the project should begin much in advance. To consider the current project in the background during the execution of automatic actions, for example when you are walking, or driving, or cooking.

Forethought activates unconscious thought processes, and when you sit down to work, we are more likely to be able to tune. With time to concentrate on the tasks will be something familiar and not difficult.published

Author: Arye Gottsdanker

Source: orgdev.ru/%D1%8D%D0%BF%D0%B8%D0%B4%D0%B5%D0%BC%D0%B8%D1%8F-%D0%BD%D0%B0%D1%88%D0%B5%D0%B3%D0%BE-%D0%B2%D1%80%D0%B5%D0%BC%D0%B5%D0%BD%D0%B8-%D0%B4%D0%B5%D1%84%D0%B8%D1%86%D0%B8%D1%82-%D0%B2%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%BC%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%B8%D1%8F-5023bd692508#.2v

Tags

See also

New and interesting