In China, we found the largest insect in the world

On Thursday, news agency "Xinhua" Tell the world that in southern China found a huge insect in length more than 62 cm, entomologists recognized the longest insect in the world. The insect, which was named Phryganistria, found an employee of the Entomological Museum of Western China's Zhao Li [Zhao Li] in the expedition, undertaken by them in 2014.

Museum staff said that among all the known science of insects, of which there are already 807 625 species, found a new type of stick insects is the largest. The previous record belongs to the length of the Malaysian stick insects, found in Malaysia in 2008 -. 56, 7 cm It can be found by visiting the London Natural History Museum

Zhao Li said he hoped to meet with a giant More since 1998, when, as in the expedition in Guangxi region, heard from locals about a giant stick insects length over half a meter and a thickness of the index finger of the person. Lee believed the stories, but to see him live insect was possible only after 16 years.

"At night, August 16, 2014 I have been collecting samples of insects on a mountain 1,200 meters altitude in the town of lick area of ​​Guangxi, when he noticed a dark shadow that looks like a tree branch - Lee recalls. - When I came closer, I was shocked by the views of the insect and its legs, a long with his own body »

Lee took the insect in its own museum. It postponed the six eggs, which soon hatched. Most small insects among newborns reach a length of 26 cm. The scientific work detailing the discovery, to be published. Total in the world currently found about 3000 species of stick insects.

Source: geektimes.ru/post/275430/

Tags

See also

New and interesting