Bill Gifford: how to grow old with dignity

Old age - this is not a battle; old age - a massacre

. Philip Roth

Wave was a giant wall - dull green, topped by a foamy crest - and with all its strength has fallen to my grandfather. For a few long seconds, endlessly, he disappeared under the water. I then preteen, watching him from the shore, with bated breath. Finally, he stood up on the sandbar, rubbed his eyes and turned his face to the wall, following the rise of water.

There are days when Lake Michigan, it seems, feels the ocean. And it was one of those days. All morning lake in rage tossed half meter waves on the beach in front of the old family cottage, built in 1919 by my great-grandfather of cheap timber, traditional Anglo-Saxon style. Bodiserfing, or more simply, skating on his stomach on the waves of the lake, he was one of the favorite activities in my child's life, and I was looking forward to storm days. Unfortunately, this time the waves were too big, and go into the water I was strictly forbidden. So I sat on the porch, sulking the whole world, and the corner of his eyes watching his grandfather.

Next to me sat on the porch of my great-uncle Emerson, the elder brother of my grandfather, and, to tell the truth, is not the most favorite of my family at that time. Too stiff and lacking a sense of humor, he paid attention to us, the children, only to scold for bustle and noise. He could not swim, so he could not look after us on the beach, which made it into our eyes, quite futile. He never joked and played with us as other relatives. I, a child of ten, he seemed ancient dinosaur fossil. My frolicking in the water his grandfather's name was Leonard, and even in their 60 loved this old sailor hard surf. I enviously watched as he bravely meets the foaming waves, slides on its rampant ridge, leaves with her head under the water, but after a moment, ready for a new cast. I loved it.

At this time the family gathered to celebrate his birthday, which he jokingly called the Day of St Leonard. On the porch hung a huge homemade poster with an appropriate inscription, resulting in confusion of people walking along the beach. Our house was considered a sort of local landmark, as he was much older than its neighbors. He survived the Great Depression and countless winter storms, including the most powerful in the mid-1930s., Vymyvshy sand dune on which the house was built. Almost all the neighboring houses were totally destroyed. But our family came from Chicago and restored the house on their own, then the locals, he was nicknamed the Ark.

About five in the evening the adults gathered for an evening cocktail. On the so-called bottom of the kitchen, built under the house after he lost his sand dunes, aunt arranged an unparalleled gala dinner. After dinner, the men lit a bonfire on the beach, and we children were roasting marshmallows on it, until we were sent to bed by measuring the noise of the surf. It was a wonderful day on the lake, and memories of him still wash my soul warm waves, though their true meaning, I realized until many years later.

It seemed that the brothers belonged to different generations, although my grandfather Leonard was only 17 months younger than his brother, Emerson, which was very small, almost scandalous difference in age for the prissy Protestant community of the Midwest in 1914-1915., When they were born. They were almost twins, with identical genes and upbringing, and remained close friends throughout their adult life. And yet their fate could hardly be more different.

This picture is still standing in front of me: Emerson in his rocking chair on the porch and his brother-pogodok fun frolicking in the giant waves. Shortly thereafter, a family celebration at Emerson began to show the first signs of Alzheimer's disease, which eventually destroyed his mind, and he ended his life in a nursing home at the age of 74 years. At the same time, my grandfather, his age, purchased a small citrus orchard in the mountains north of San Diego and worked there along with their employees. He was still fairly strong man, when at the age of 86 years caught the occasional infection and died.

This difference between the two brothers was at least partly caused by such an unlikely factor as religion. Like my great-grandfather and great-grandmother, Emerson and his wife were devout followers of the church "Christian Science" - religious doctrine, the name of which introduces human misleading, as his followers actually deny any science, including medical. And we believe that all human ailments can be healed by prayer. So they almost never go to the doctor.

As a result, the body has accumulated a lot of Emerson biological damage - like an old "Cadillac" after participating in the destruction of the race. Skin cancer, which he refused to be treated, ate his left ear, leaving only deformed, like cauliflower stub. In addition, he suffered several minor strokes, the effects of which were also not treated properly. Any infection, from which it would be easy to get rid of with antibiotics will be charged with the full cost of his body.

My grandfather at a young age was freed from the power of the dogmas of "Christian Science" - not least at the insistence of his prudent wife, - and since then its only a ritual, to observe them with a true religious zeal, was the daily cocktail: a glass of whiskey with ice at six o'clock in the evening. He enjoyed all the benefits of modern medicine, has achieved significant progress in the treatment of infectious diseases, heart disease and even cancer.

What is important, he gave up smoking in 1957 (in contrast to his brother) and daily engaged in vigorous physical activity, trying to implement on your site extraordinary and often very ambitious gardening projects. Through all this he enjoyed a long - coupled with better health - life than his brother

Epic of Gilgamesh

Health experts call it "healthy period of life", and this concept is one of the central problems in this book: if the duration of my grandfather's life was only 14 years older than his brother, the duration of a healthy period of life was greater at at least 30 years. In his book "Aging is not necessarily!" I tried to provide you with all the necessary information and clearly explain how to extend both of these periods, and, ideally, to equalize their time.

Several decades later, another wonderful summer day, I once again sat on the veranda of the Ark. It was a long time since I was here last time. When my grandfather and his family moved near San Diego, and the house was sold to a distant relative, my parents are no longer here to ride. And so many years later, I once again decided to visit this place, which have been associated with many happy memories of my childhood.

Only now I was already 40, and, of course, in my head spinning dark thoughts of impending old age. Part of this was my fault bear-sensitive colleagues, which in my fortieth birthday cake presented to me, made a grave, and topped with a single candle. The inscription on the tombstone reads chocolate:

Rest in peace, my youth ...

Awfully nice of them, though quite violently towards me. But it was a bitter truth: in the media world, where I have worked all my life, the age of 40 years is considered old age. Even if you look excellent and are in great shape, you will still translate into the category of "older people" or "people aged." Unfavourable terms of demographic characteristics. Approaching the end of their professional careers. Even my own mother told me: "You are no longer a youth»

. She hit the nail on the head. I could not see happening with me changes. I am a youth engaged in sports - with varying degrees of activity - but recently noticed that it became more difficult to keep in shape. If I have a few days did not make a run, did not go on the bike and did not visit the gym, my muscles turned to jelly loose, though I spent on the couch for several weeks. When I again went for a run, I felt uncomfortable shaking flabby muscles.

Hangover is now lasted a few days, my wallet and keys regularly ran AWOL, and about reading the menu at a restaurant romantic candlelight could forget. I almost always felt tired. Several of my friends have died of cancer or were close to. In spare moments, I often caught myself for sad "senile" thinking that my best years are already behind, and my clock started the countdown. I must say, I closely followed "plan": Some scholars believe that the average age of all the troubles related to the fact that we reach a kind of biological "threshold", after which the aging process begins to outstrip the ability of the body to repair itself
At the age of 43 years, I have passed a medical examination and found that somehow mysteriously got extra 7 kg. My cholesterol level close to that of the chocolate milk, and for the first time in my life I had a small beer belly. Given my love of beer, it was not surprising, but the fact nevertheless struck me unpleasantly. My doctor took all these "scary" diseases at the expense of "the normal aging process." Kindly smile, he said, that I do not worry about anything and no special measures are needed to take. "There's nothing to be done," - he said, spreading his hands

. Nothing can be done about it? I was not satisfied with this answer. I wanted to know more. Perhaps there are ways to stop this process? Or at least slow down? At least a little? Please!

Search for "medicine" of old age, death of ways to win, it has been a dream of mankind since then, people have learned how to dream. One of the songs of the oldest surviving literary texts, the Sumerian "Epic of Gilgamesh", written almost five thousand years ago, the story of the hero, wandering the world in search of the elixir of immortality. In the end, he finds it in the form of a mysterious prickly flower, which breaks from the ocean floor. But on the way home Gilgamesh loses the coveted flower - it is stealing snake that since then, changing the skin regains youth. "Gods, when creating a person's death identified the man - say saddened Gilgamesh. - But life is in their hands

kept. " People have always wanted to stay young or at least to look young. One of the oldest known medical text - Egyptian papyrus dating from about 2500 BC. e., contains a recipe for "divine tool that transforms old into young men." Unfortunately, in practice it appears that this tool - the usual face cream. It is made from fruit and dirt, and it is not much different from those anti-aging creams with extracts of pomegranate, melon, milk and anything, which in the past year alone, Americans spent several billion dollars. My favorite - the legendary miracle cream Creme De La Mer based on algae, is priced at $ 1,000 per pound (about 450 grams), while British chemist Will Buchanan found that the price of all the ingredients of the cream does not exceed $ 50
<. br> During the creation of "Epic of Gilgamesh" people lived long enough (and not well), to die of old age: the average life expectancy was about 25 years - and it was for thousands of years. Today, as you read this book, about 10,000 baby boomers celebrate their 65th birthday. Tomorrow other 10,000 uncork a good bottle of wine, kerf louder Jimmy Buffett with his folk-rock and cross the "old Rubicon" -.. And so on, every day for the next two decades. At this rate, our reserves festive candles for cakes come to an end long before 2060, when the number of Americans over age 65 will double and will exceed 92 million - more than 20% of the total US population. To help you understand what it is, imagine evergreen and sunny "retirement" Florida, where the proportion of people over 65 years old today is about 17%.

The whole planet is gradually turning to Florida. Today the world is living a lot more older people than ever in the past. This applies even to "developing" countries, such as China, where the policy of "one family - one child" in a remarkably short period of time to change the demographic structure of the population. For centuries, the age distribution of the human race was like a pyramid whose base is a huge number of young people, and located on the top of the unit, who have lived to a ripe old age.

Now, because of the sharp increase in life expectancy and declining fertility, especially in developed countries, old age distribution pyramid turned into a mushroom with a very massive hat. According to the newspaper Nikkei, soon selling adult diapers in Japan exceeded sales of nappies for babies! .. In place of tuberculosis, poliomyelitis, plague, etc., mows the ranks of young people in the past, came the other four horsemen of the apocalypse already geriatric - cardiovascular disease, cancer, diabetes and Alzheimer's disease

. These chronic diseases have become so common that they seem almost inevitable. Four out of five Americans over age 65 are now taking medication from one or more chronic diseases associated with high cholesterol, blood pressure, diabetes and many others. As human aging medicine they are beginning to play an increasingly important role in his life, which means that the last decade of his earthly existence, we hold as a patient - ie sick people

. Health Experts call this part of our life when we are suffering from chronic diseases, the period of illness (morbidity period). Currently, for most people this time - it is terrible to think! - It makes the entire second half of their lives. Even more frightening to think how much it will cost the contents of these legions of aging baby boomers who need large quantities of expensive medicines, artificial heart valves and knee joints - and how lousy they feel. Perhaps never before humanity is not so much needed in the magic flower of Gilgamesh, as it is now.

As the eminent French philosopher Michel de Montaigne, is a tragedy of old age is not that it kills the old man, and that it deprives a young man of his youth. A man able to endure this hard loss saw Montaigne, just because it happens slowly, almost imperceptibly, "Life takes us by the hand the steep, almost imperceptible slope, slowly but polegonku not yet into this wretched state and makes us familiar with him. That's why we do not feel any shocks, when there comes the death of our youth, which, really, in essence, is much more cruel than the death of a languishing life or death of our age. »

Although officially I do not belong to a generation of baby boomers (I was late with the birth of three years), I shared their strange delusion that we'll never grow old. We looked at old age as the only destiny of old people, of our grandparents and parents. Himself the same for some amazing reason we felt doomed to eternal youth. Paradoxically, but eventually realize acutely the inevitability of impending old age made me not aging parents celebrated their 70th anniversary, and even came to me clearly the first signs of "normal aging" and what happened to my dogs .

There were two great pair of red coon hounds, dogs, southern rock, which has become popular due to the children's film "Flower of red fern". Theo, I raised from puppyhood, and Lizzie, we can say with the "adolescent", but now they have become older dogs. While Theo is still in many respects resembled a puppy, Lizzie turned gray muzzle, paws lost former flexibility, and her gait became some kind of wooden and rickety. Not caring about the feelings of women, people on the street are often asked me: "It's his mother?»

No: they were brother and sister, who were born in the same litter. But they are just as much different from each other, as my grandfather and his brother Emerson: they were the same age, but one looked much older than the other. But if in the case of my grandparents I could explain this difference commitment to the church "Christian Science", in the case of dogs, no suitable explanation I did not. Они имели фактически одинаковые гены, ели одинаковую пищу, вместе ходили на прогулки. Как мой дед и его брат, они были одинаковыми — и очень разными.

Наверное, каждый из нас обращал внимание на то, что люди, кажется, стареют с разной скоростью. Это как нельзя лучше видно на встречах выпускников: одни наши одноклассники превратились в своих родителей, а другие выглядят так, словно только что получили аттестат зрелости. В чем причина такой разницы? Только лишь в «хороших генах»? Или в чем-то другом, что находится под нашим контролем, например в правильном образе жизни? В правильном питании? В правильном уходе за телом? В чем? Ответить на этот насущный вопрос — почему одни люди стареют медленнее других — и есть ключевая задача этой книги.

Что касается Тео и Лиззи, то я приписал эту разницу чистой случайности, которая играет важную роль в процессе старения, если верить ученым. Но на деле все оказалось совсем не так, и я в очередной раз убедился в том, сколь обманчивой может быть внешность. В одно из воскресений октября я вышел из нашего дома в Пенсильвании, чтобы совершить утреннюю пробежку, и обнаружил на крыльце радостного Тео. Он всегда любил бегать вместе со мной и даже теперь, несмотря на свои преклонные 12 лет, был готов на быстрый забег вокруг квартала. Я открыл ворота, и он спорой рысью засеменил рядом со мной — один круг, потом второй, третий. Казалось, он совсем не устал. Поэтому для меня стало шоком, когда четыре дня спустя на приеме у ветеринара у него был обнаружен рак.

Наш ветеринар — добрейшей души человек по имени Трейси Сейн, деревенский парень, волей судьбы занесенный на Манхэттен. Всякий раз, когда он видел моих красных енотовых гончих, он восклицал: «Вот это настоящие собаки!» Я привел Тео, чтобы удалить небольшой нарост на коже, который не считал большой проблемой. Поскольку операция должна была проводиться под наркозом, доктор Сейн взял стетоскоп и начал прослушивать его сердце. По мере того как он опускался все ниже по груди Тео, его лицо становилось все мрачнее. «У Тео в сердце есть небольшие шумы», — наконец сказал он.

Шумы в сердце означают, что сердце расширено и ослаблено. То же самое происходит и в организме человека, и это один из распространенных признаков старения. Но шумы в сердце также могут свидетельствовать о том, что в организме есть какая-то серьезная проблема. Рентген грудной клетки показал, что это было: пространство, где должны были находиться его печень и селезенка, было занято большим, расплывчатой формы пузырем размером с теннисный мяч. «Это проблема», — сказал доктор Сейн. Он назвал это «желчной массой», что было мягким способом сказать «опухоль». «Если нам удастся безопасно ее удалить, все будет в порядке», — сказал он. Мы назначили встречу на понедельник утром. «Но Тео предстоит тяжелый путь», — мрачно предупредил доктор.

В выходные мы с моей подругой Элизабет старались не думать об опухоли Тео. Все вокруг говорили об урагане «Сэнди», который готовился обрушиться на город. Предполагалось, что это будет самый сильный ураган за всю историю Нью-Йорка. В субботу мы сходили на фермерский рынок, где Тео и Лиззи потянули нас к своему любимому прилавку, где фермеры торговали колбасными изделиями из индейки и предлагали бесплатные образцы для собак. Потом мы все вместе расположились на уютном диване перед телевизором и стали смотреть фильм про парусное судно Bounty, затонувшее у берегов Северной Каролины. «Сэнди» надвигался.

В воскресенье из-за урагана мы не выходили из дома, читали газеты, пили кофе, а затем перешли на вино. После ужина мы попытались вывести собак на прогулку, но Тео отказался. В этом не было ничего необычного. Он ненавидел бури и мог терпеть несколько часов, прежде чем решиться выйти на улицу в сильный дождь, чтобы пописать. Он был упрямым парнем, и я никогда не тащил его силой. Я легко помассировал ему спину, чтобы помочь расслабиться, и оставил лежать на подстилке. Но я не предполагал, что дело может быть в чем-то другом, кроме ужасной погоды. На следующее утро, когда ураган закончится, я должен был отвезти его на операцию. До его двенадцатого дня рождения оставалось всего три недели. Но у Тео были другие планы, и они не включали хирургическую операцию. Мы нашли его, лежащего рядом со своей подстилкой, еще теплого, перед рассветом. Я закрыл ему глаза, Элизабет обернула его чистой простыней, и мы заплакали.

После смерти Тео некоторые мои друзья признались мне, что смерть своих собак они переживали гораздо тяжелее, чем кончину своих отцов. Дело было не в том, что своих отцов они любили меньше, чем собак. Просто наши родители стареют медленно и долго, и в глубине души мы успеваем подготовиться к тому, что они умрут. Но любимые животные проживают короткую жизнь на наших глазах и быстро уходят, поэтому мы воспринимаем их смерть так близко к сердцу. Это слишком сильно напоминает нам о скоротечности нашего собственного земного бытия. За время жизни Тео я превратился из довольно молодого человека, едва переступившего 30-летний порог, в «человека за сорок», приближающегося к своему 50-летнему юбилею.

© Joel Redman

Я стал настолько старым, что решил написать книгу о старении. И смерть Тео подтолкнула меня приняться за работу с удвоенным фанатизмом. Я захотел узнать все о старении, этом универсальном и неотвратимом, но до сих пор столь малоизученном процессе, который затрагивает практически все живое.

Я решил подойти к этому делу как к расследованию, собирая любые доказательства и улики, куда бы они ни вели. Я прочитал все исследования и книги на тему старения, которые только сумел найти. Я проникал в научные лаборатории, где исследователи трудятся на переднем крае науки, и выпытывал информацию у ведущих экспертов в этой области. Я также искал вольнодумцев и революционеров, которые осмеливаются продвигать инновационные идеи и подходы вопреки общепринятым догмам или моде. Я также искал пожилых людей, которые, кажется, не знают о своем возрасте: в 70 лет ставят спортивные рекорды, в 80 считаются авторитетными экспертами и влиятельными мыслителями, а переступив 100-летний порог, становятся успешными инвесторами на фондовом рынке.

У меня были серьезные вопросы. Как время меняет нас? Что со мной происходило по мере наступления «среднего возраста» и что будет происходить дальше? Чем в 45 лет я отличаюсь от того, каким был в подростковом возрасте? Что изменится во мне к 70 годам? Почему моя десятилетняя племянница — еще «совсем молодая», а мои 12-летние собаки — «совсем старые»? Что это за невидимая сила, называемая «старением», которая затрагивает всех живых существ? Каждого, кто читает эту книгу? Каждого, кто когда-либо жил на этой планете?

И ближе к делу: в какой степени старение находится под нашим контролем, а в какой определяется судьбой или случайностью? Я был движим своекорыстным интересом. Признаться честно, я очень хотел продлить свою молодость или то, что от нее осталось, как можно дольше. В конце своей жизни я хотел, как мой дед, кататься на волнах и заниматься обрезкой фруктовых деревьев, а не сидеть целыми днями в кресле-качалке, как его бедный брат Эмерсон.

В начале своего расследования я боялся, что узнаю только массу неутешительных и обескураживающих фактов, но на деле все оказалось совсем не так. Ученые установили, что процесс старения является более управляемым, чем мы когда-либо думали, — и может быть изучен и изменен. Вы не обречены в старости повторить судьбу своего отца, деда или другого близкого родственника (в моем случае — моего двоюродного деда). Как вы будете стареть — зависит только от вас. Двух основных старческих недугов — сердечно-сосудистых заболеваний и диабетов — вполне можно избежать или даже вылечить их. Третий ужасный недуг, болезнь Альцгеймера, можно предотвратить в половине случаев.

История моих собак показала мне, что ключ к долголетию заключается не только в том, посещаете ли вы регулярно врача и делаете ли еженедельный массаж лица. Тайна долголетия кроется гораздо глубже. Самое удивительное и потрясающее — это то, что многие аспекты старения можно изменить и даже отсрочить на клеточном уровне.

Наука уже открыла встроенные глубоко в наши клетки тайные структуры и механизмы, которые могут замедлить или остановить некоторые эффекты старения — если только мы сумеем вскрыть их программный код и научимся его изменять. Некоторые из этих эволюционных механизмов являются настолько древними, что мы разделяем их с самыми низшими формами жизни, такими как микроскопические черви и даже дрожжи; о других мы только-только начинаем узнавать благодаря фантастическим усилиям ученых по расшифровке человеческого генома.

Уже установлено, что определенные гены непосредственно связаны с долголетием и хорошим здоровьем, и ученые обнаруживают все новые и новые гены, отвечающие за молодость и старение. Некоторые из этих генов могут быть даже активированы или сымитированы химическим путем, и в настоящее время в этом направлении проводятся интенсивные научные исследования и эксперименты.

Но замедление процесса старения — вовсе не далекая голубая мечта: основные механизмы долголетия, встроенные в наши биологические системы, можно активизировать прямо здесь и сейчас, совершив небольшую пробежку или пропустив один-два приема пищи. Немного знаний и профилактики вполне достаточно для того, чтобы избавить вас от прозябания в кресле-качалкеи позволить наслаждаться серфингом на океанских волнах всю оставшуюся часть жизни.
глава из книги «Стареть не обязательно» научного журналиста Билла Гиффорда

Tags

See also

New and interesting