Why discipline better motivation

If you are inspired by motivational videos, trainings and books, but it does not change anything in your life or change very slowly and little, but today I offer you a motivational article in which I will motivate you to jump off the motivational needle.

Slow to anger is better than the mighty, and better than owning him that taketh a city. Proverbs, 16:32.

Today, the Internet and bookstores are filled motivational products designed to inspire us to a new life and great achievements. Why is the situation, which should, in theory, to benefit, has become for many a curse, creating a mass of dissatisfied people who are constantly dreaming of a trip, planning a route, but still without moving from the spot?

For many people, the absorption of the next portion of the motivation was similar to the adoption of an addict dose, after which the withdrawal takes place, and everything in life remains the same, except the feelings of helplessness and worthlessness, which has been steadily growing. And to break through, to somehow move, we introduce another dose of motivation, closing the vicious circle.

Why do we not have the courage to admit that the motivation is not working and it is necessary to look the other way? What will help us to achieve the goal so as to reach her? As we finally get the ball rolling and start fundamentally change yourself and your life? But before we answer these and other questions, let "synchronize watches": for the sake of simplicity and understanding put an equal sign between the concepts of "motivation" and "inspiration", and between "discipline" and
"self-control" <. br> Motivation - emotions on the crest
The problem of motivation - to kindle in us the emotions, to raise a wave of feeling that we will incur to the cherished goal. This surfing on the crest of a wave, but not the hard work of oars. Beautiful, exciting, easy.

But if the ocean waves can not be stopped, then the reality of our life emotions - this is one of the most fragile, fleeting and non-events. It can be weeks or months sit on the beach, but did not wait for the waves. In fact, our lives, and is a beach dotted with surfers, the only thing which is like waiting. Only a few take the oars and rowed slowly but inexorably moving away from the shores of mediocrity and emptiness.

The popularity and power
illusions Motivation is popular, but not because it leads to results. Motivation is popular, like any other easy way. Unfortunately, man is so constituted that looks for an easy, but not the right path. And if it creates at least some semblance of a correct choice, it is likely she will be selected.

But motivation is not an easy way to do it only gives out promises and creates the illusion that everything will turn easily and on an emotional lift. The man in the power of these illusions, it is not ready - not mentally or physically - to the difficulties and obstacles which are always met, and there will be encountered in any way to a more or less worthwhile goals. Therefore, the smallest glitch can cause a retreat to the shore to wait for the next passing wave.

Of course, we all love a positive feeling: joy, emotional lift, excitement - and there's nothing wrong. The bad news is that we are dependent on them, rather than they from us. We become like a drunkard who, without the infusion of alcohol can not and does not want to work.

The justification for the lazy
Of course, a mason, or the driver will not be able to refer to the lack of inspiration, but the representatives of creative professions have for their laziness, as it seems to them a great alibi. I know that now I fly rotten tomatoes, but I am deeply convinced: the creative person does not need inspiration to start creating

. To paraphrase the famous Chuck Close, I can say and confirm personal experience:

Inspiration - for the lazy, the others just work

. Today, therefore, I suggest that you give up the service and inspiration to take the true queen of success. Meet: Her Majesty discipline

! Discipline: on the oars through the waves
In contrast, motivate, discipline is not waiting for suitable weather and a suitable wavelength. She was not concerned about emotions and feelings, she does not need them, and at a certain experience of their own, and creates forces to serve their purposes.

Yes, discipline is not given so easily. It does not occur after the movie, the movie, a seminar or a podcast. Being small and weak, it is difficult to wade through laziness, fear, and "do not want". But if it is to nurture and train, then, growing and gaining momentum, it will help you demolish any obstacles on the path to success and fulfillment. In addition, every day it will require from you all less effort and attention.

In the discipline is only one drawback: it is true, but the hard way. Therefore, it is unpopular and, therefore, it misrepresented as they could.

The myths and lies about the discipline
Myth 1. Discipline and creativity are incompatible
When I hear such, I understand that these biographies of famous artists, composers, writers and other creators are shrouded in mystery. On closer acquaintance it turns out that most geniuses have worked hard, and many did not wait for inspiration.

Somerset Maugham once said something that changed the life of a young Todorri Wynn, and in a few decades -. And my

There is nothing that is called inspiration. The only thing that is included in the calculation - is hard work © Somerset Maugham

. Of course, it may seem that the discipline - the enemy of inspiration. Perhaps the inspiration and is the enemy of discipline, but the discipline - the best friend of inspiration

. Firstly, when, thanks to the discipline we collected, completed the domestic business (even if not all but basic), when no pressure guilt due to financial or social debts, creativity and inspiration is released a lot of energy that we can use. < br>
Second, research has shown that the moments of insight that seem to appear out of nowhere, they are the result of the previous hard work of the brain. Kevin Ashton (Kevin Ashton), in his book How to Fly a Horse ( «How to make a horse fly») spoke quite specifically and unambiguously:

Time - a raw material for creation. Drop the magic and myths of creation, and will only work: work to gain experience through study and practice, work to find solutions to problems, working by trial and error, reflection and improvement work

. Even the famous "90 proven ways to overcome the crisis and to find again the inspiration" (a paper book or PDF) offers us nothing more than a real action, and not simply wait. But even if you just break through paragraph by paragraph or stroke by stroke, inspiration finally comes. And it happens more often and faster than if you just wait. To be more precise, it happens always. In a disciplined creator and muse disciplined.

A striking example of a creative person who tamed inspiration through discipline, for me is Jan Frank. Before reading her book "The Muse and the Beast," it seemed to me that all of the above, I agree only and Somerset Maugham. But - since Jana - I am more and more frequently confronted with creative people, who claim that the discipline and organization - the best friends of inspiration and creativity. Therefore, learn how to do, without waiting for inspiration, and fight!

Myth 2. Discipline - it
slavery People often after learning about my life used such epithets: slavery, prison, hard labor. A friend of mine, who suffers from diabetes, overweight and having much more very unpleasant ailments, can not cope with his appetite and nicotine addiction, but says a slave and I really regret my life.

The philosophy of these people is clear. She expressed More Voltaire: freedom - to do what you want and when you want. But there was another French thinker - Jean-Jacques Rousseau, who said that true freedom - is the ability to do what is necessary and right

. From a logical point of view of the rights of Rousseau. After all, what is freedom if you go to work on schedule, do what you tell other people, obedient to the laws of the state, but you can not control yourself?

Can it be called freedom, when you work for the interests of others, but because of laziness or neglect their appetite? It turns out that discipline and self-control is the real freedom.

But this is only the first step of freedom. Next - not only do what is right and necessary, but also to love it, enjoy it. And here we are faced with the following myth.

Myth 3. Discipline and happiness are incompatible
This myth is based on the conviction that healthy food is certainly insipid, good music - boring, exercise can not be fun, hard work (intellectual and physical) inhibits ... That is all, which requires discipline and self-control to be associated with negative feelings and emotions and, therefore, incompatible with happiness and bright interesting life.

But perseverance is rewarded, enhanced release of the hormone of happiness, all tastes can change during exercise and cook delicious food. I will say more: if the food is good, nutritious and balanced, but insipid, it is junk food

. On the other hand, there are lots of cases that, by definition, well, just can not give pleasure and joy, the work that still needs to be done. And do they have to be, if only because, between their performance and our happiness is a direct connection. For example, many people do not like sports exercise because more have not tried. But there are those who will never be able to love the sport, despite their usefulness for the brain and body. And will not help any motivation and self-hypnosis, but discipline is a virtue.

In addition, a lot depends on our attitude. I think it's hard not to get joy and satisfaction from overcoming himself from achieving their goals. Even in the process can be happy by the mere thought that you do not deadhead limp, but a man who owns a.

Discipline leads a person through the achievement of results to the emotional state that is eternal bagpipers consider necessary to achieve this result.

It turns out, it is difficult to find true happiness without discipline. Without discipline it is impossible to be free, to own inspiration and break through the waves. What do we do with motivation? We remove the ballast overboard? In no case! Just start right attitude to motivational products.

Motivation - a picture of the future
Motivation is very good, when in front of us is drawing a picture of the future, showing us that we are waiting for, if we take ourselves in hand and with the support of the discipline will be going forward. Motivation is good when recalled for what we need self-control and continuous movement.

So be sure to watch motivational videos, read motivational books and articles. But even better - look for and cultivate intrinsic motivation. Think about your goals, dream about them, plan to achieve them, paint a picture.

Learn to love what you do, just fall in love with their job and become the best ...

Let motivation will inspire you to go to sea, and discipline will give strength and perseverance to swim to dream. Successful navigation!

Tags

See also

New and interesting