Division of Lockheed Martin offers do wind turbines with variable geometry vanes

Project Lead Designer Todd Griffin section shows the 50-meter blades i>

US National Laboratories Sandia National Laboratories presented design blades for giant coastal wind turbines with a horizontal axis of rotation. Design features of the new blades - an unprecedented length (200 m) and the ability to automatically take shape in high winds to prevent the destruction of the windmill.

A typical modern wind turbine blade length of up to 20 to 60 meters. Common in the US wind turbines are 80 meters in height and a maximum capacity of 1, 5 MW. Maximum of commercially available turbine produces 8 megawatts using 80-meter blades.

Long-term development of the Sandia National Laboratories aims to create a wind turbine with the estimated capacity of 50 MW. At the moment, in the laboratories set up the blade length of 50 m and made all the расчёты for the 100-meter-long blades . It is planned that the new giant wind turbines will be located on the water in coastal areas.

"Habitual blades for wind turbines are expensive to manufacture, install and maintain. They must be hard to do, so they do not bend and hit the tower in strong gusts of wind. Such rigid blades turn heavy, and their weight directly affects the cost of becoming a formidable barrier when trying to increase the capacity of the turbine, "- says Todd Griffin, lead designer of the project.

Folding blades i>

Zest project that blade from Sandia National Laboratories will be composed of segments that facilitate their installation, at the same time they are placed on the leeward side of the tower, in contrast to conventional wind turbines. This will allow them to automatically develop a strong wind like a palm frond. The design allows the blades to reduce the weight and make them resistant to hurricanes.

The turbine in Denmark, whose brakes failed, causing it too quickly untwisted i>

Sandia National Laboratories are divisions of Lockheed Martin. They are back to your Манхэттенского Project - US program to develop nuclear weapons, which began September 17, 1943.

Source: geektimes.ru/post/270198/

Tags

See also

New and interesting