We are led by only 2 emotions: fear and desire to grow

I was afraid of losing a major client. I was afraid of losing his job and allowed to yell at myself as much as necessary.

And then I met a friend. She said: « My grandmother used to say that we are led by only 2 emotions: fear and desire to grow »
So we decide to do something or not to do. For example, we are still at work, because we are afraid not to find another, or because it can be done on a lot of interesting things and grow like a pro? We continue to meet the person, because we are afraid no one else found or because thank him for what he is (hopefully a one)?

I thought a lot. Here are the most important decisions that I have taken:

to move to New York to work at HBO. Retired from HBO, to found his own company. He married for the first time. Divorced. He married for the second time. divorced. Already had children. Lost house and all the money and went to live 100 kilometers from New York. He tried to sell the company to how well it unwound. < did not go on a business trip because I was afraid of trouble, if the leave the house. Grandma was right. Every decision I made, or out of fear, or out of a desire to grow. Not only the important decisions, but the little things.

And never, ever do anything good did not, if I dared to something out of fear. Because if I did, me in the end did not depend - I handed over the reins to someone else's hands. I was afraid of danger, afraid of losing, fear of liability.

But, if I dare to something out of a desire to grow, miracles begin. I have them in every cell of the body felt that in mind new ideas, I realized that I know and can do a lot. Even breathe easier.

Decisions adopted by the desire to grow, turning into something I'm proud of. A decision taken by the fear - in what sorry.

When scared, mind if someone whispers: "That spit you now everything, and then what?" One of my first bosses constantly yelled at me, and I suffered because I was afraid that he fire me.

Losing a job I did not like: in parallel with the work I did business on the side, and HBO (where I worked) was the largest customer. And I was not sure that I would find another. So the fear of losing the client prevented me to devote my time increase, which would result in more useful.

Once again, I was afraid to remain without money, and took a tedious job. I tried to convince myself that it is for the sake of growth. Maybe I vzlechu the career ladder, and I will have a bunch of new features.

But on the first working day for no reason, I fell to the floor. They all laughed and said, "All right?" I smiled and stood up, because I was ashamed - so many people have seen it. All day I limp: it was painful to step on the foot.

On the second day the boss said: "As for your salary ... Trust me. The company will take care of you. " I was afraid to argue. He's the boss!

On the third day, I got up and left
I go there and never returned. They called me many times. Even a year later the boss is still calling, still ringing. And my life is better than it was ever before.

I have sworn never to look back. I went to the station. Traveled by train 100 km. I watched as the green leaves give way to red on the road across the Hudson River.

I went home and went for a walk to the river. I had no idea that it is now, how and why. I did not think about the money for the first few months.

And then said: I do not limp and the leg does not hurt.

Of course, not all was well after that my decision. There were also the terrible things: my heart broken, fear of being left without money to return again and again.

But it was a decision made out of a desire to grow. Then I took another and another. Gradually they reached the "critical mass". Gradually I grew up, and now I love life more than ever before.

Thank you so much, my girlfriend's grandmother.

Author: James Altucher
Translation and adaptation of the Website
Preview: favim

via favim.com/image/1090994/

Tags

See also

New and interesting