Grand testing batteries AA / AAA

After my grand test batteries many asked to spend the same thorough tests NiMh-batteries. For four months I tested the battery 198 (44 models 35 models of AA and AAA).

Usually Lamptest.ru blog I talk about testing LED lamps that consume 6-10 times less than traditional and can significantly save on electricity costs. Today I want to touch on another aspect of the economy - the use of rechargeable batteries instead of batteries.

The battery is charged with the charger La Crosse BC-700 and JAPCELL BC-4001 . Batteries with a capacity greater than 1500 mAh recharged current 700-800 mA, less battery capacity current 500-600 mA.

To determine the capacity of the battery is discharged with the help of analyzer Oleg Artamonov . Batteries with a capacity greater than 1500 mAh were discharged currents of 500 mA and 2500 mA, less battery capacity - currents of 200 mA and 1000 mA.

Basically we tested on two specimens of each battery model. For comparison, I used the results of the worst battery life of a couple, if tested four batteries, for comparison, I took on the penultimate tank.

Let's start with the simplest - the battery capacity at medium currents 500/200 mA. Of course, properly consider the capacity in watt-hours , but contains all the batteries capacity in milliamp hours, so I'm going to use them and all the results in watt-hours can be found in the summary table .

As can be seen from the test results, the maximum capacity of the battery is AA 2550 mAh. All batteries with beautiful numbers 2600, 2700, 2800 and 2850 mAh only the fruit of marketing. Their real capacity sometimes even less than that of the battery of the same manufacturer with more modest numbers. Some batteries with these large values ​​of capacitance fine print contains a minimum capacity (for example at Ansmann in 2700, Panasonic in 2700, Maha Powerex 2700 indicated minimum values ​​of capacitance 2500 mAh capacity and the real capacity is close to this value).
And here at the AAA all to be honest. The maximum capacity of 1100 mAh specified and actual capacity is close to this value.

Duracell Batteries in 1300 after the first charge-discharge cycles showed very poor results, but after a few charge-discharge cycles showed the results that I consider.
One of the four batteries Turnigy 2400 LSD had a capacity of 30% less than others. I suppose that is a marriage. His result is not taken into account.
Two batteries Camelion 2800 had a capacity of 2270 mAh and 2610 mAh (13% difference). Though the best of couples and was the most capacious of all AA batteries, I have to use the data of the worst instance, because no one knows which items can still be caught when buying.
Chinese BTY AA batteries BTY AAA 3000 and 1350 have such a low capacity that place them in the garbage, and only in further tests, I will not mention them.

Unlike batteries, rechargeable batteries can not be attributed to the category of good / bad for a container, because the sale of batteries have different nominal capacities. Let's see how the capacity of the batteries tested an application. If the battery contains not only the nominal, but the minimum capacity, I will come out of it. For comparison, using data obtained at an average discharge current of 500/200 mA.

About as batteries can be judged by how different each other instances.

Most batteries specimens differ by no more than 5%.

Unlike batteries, accumulators almost do not lose capacity at high discharge currents. I compared the capacity at discharge currents 2500 mA and 500 ma Battery AA, having a capacity of 1500 mAh, and of 1000/200 mA for AAA batteries and AA batteries with the capacity of less than 1500 mAh.

Some batteries at high currents are able to give even more power than the small (in such capacity battery is the difference between the big and the small current is greater than 100%).

Half of all the tested battery is made by technology LSD (Low Self-Discharge - low self-discharge). These batteries are sold already charged. I measured their capacity immediately after unpacking without precharge.

On average, LSD-charged batteries turned out to be 70%. Of course the level of the charge depended not only on the quality of batteries, but also on the time and conditions of storage and the date of manufacture is only in some batteries.

I tested all the batteries in a week and a month after charging. The results of a week can be found in the general table, and here are the results in a month.

Surprisingly, some of the best to preserve the charge for the month were not-LSD 2100 Navigator batteries AA and GP 1000 AAA. Most of the batteries (like LSD, never-LSD) a month save 90% charge.

Here is the price of batteries on 01/11/2015. Wholesale - Wholesale price in the "Source Betteris" RRC - recommended retail price, Mag - the minimum price in the shops and online stores (mostly remnants purchased at lower exchange rates), $ and € - the price in dollars and euros foreign shops, rub - in conversion rates at the current rate ($ 1 = 64 rubles, 1 € = 70.5 rubles). The shops and hobbyking.com ru.nkon.nl shipping fee, the cost of the cheaper shipping when purchasing 12 Battery included in the price table.

Recommended retail prices in Russia and prices in foreign shops often differ by more than two times, so I'll make two comparisons of prices.

The first comparison - at a cost of 1000 mAh by RRC and prices in e-shops, if the batteries are not sold in retail stores.

Lead batteries IKEA, behind them are batteries from foreign online stores and PKCELL Turnigy. The most expensive on the basis of the recommended prices appeared Panasonic Eneloop.

Many are buying batteries in foreign online stores, so the second I did a comparison of the prices of foreign online stores and minimum prices, which are able to be found in Russian stores.

And IKEA here ahead of all, Panasonic Eneloop are not so expensive, if you buy them online, and Fujitsu, producing at the same plant on the same technology, even cheaper.

For most battery manufacturers specify 1000 charge-discharge cycles, some manufacturers do not indicate the number of cycles (Camelion, Turnigy, GP, Varta). Some batteries only have 500 guaranteed cycles (IKEA LADDA 2000 LSD, Energizer PreCharged 2400, Panasonic Eneloop Pro 2450 LSD, Fujitsu 2550 LSD, IKEA LADDA 750 LSD, Energizer PreCharged 800, Panasonic 750 LSD, Fujitsu 900 LSD, Panasonic Eneloop Pro 900 LSD) .
For AA Panasonic Eneloop 1900 LSD, AAA Panasonic Eneloop 750 LSD, AA Fujitsu 1900 LSD, AAA Fujitsu 800 LSD manufacturers guarantees 2100 cycles.
The maximum number of cycles - 3000 is guaranteed to low-capacity batteries AA Panasonic Eneloop Lite 950 LSD and AAA Panasonic Eneloop Lite 550 LSD.

Conclusions:

1. The maximum achievable capacity for NiMh battery AA - 2550 mAh, for the AAA - 1060 mAh. All batteries, written in 2600, 2700, 2800 mAh or more in reality have a smaller capacity.
2. All known manufacturers of AA batteries from 950 mAh to 2450 mAh have a real capacity of not less than 97% of the indicated, all known manufacturers of batteries AAA 550 mAh to 1100 mAh have a real capacity of not less than 94% of the specified.
3. NiMh batteries Unlike batteries almost do not reduce the amount of energy delivered at high discharge currents.
4. LSD batteries are almost indistinguishable from normal. Both lose 4-20% per month charge.
5. New LSD batteries are usually charged at 70%.

All information on the tested batteries can be found in file excel: nadezhin.ru/lj/ljfiles/accu_ammo1.xls . There is evidence to test all instances of battery capacity in watt-hours, the weight and the initial voltage, barcodes, wholesale and retail prices in rubles, prices in dollars and euros, the country of origin, the results of all tests, including capacity after week and month of storage.

Photos of battery packs can be downloaded in one archive: nadezhin.ru/lj/ljfiles/accu.rar

Batteries are provided for testing by manufacturers and stores:

Ansmann, Duracell, Energizer, Varta, Robiton, GP, Panasonic - the wholesale company Source Betteris www.istochnik.ru
Camelion, Duracell, Energizer - wholesale company and Grid Technology est.ru
Ikea - the company Ikea www.ikea.ru
Navigator, Panasonic, Varta - now Battery Team batteryteam.ru
Space - a group of companies "Kosmoc» kosmos.ru
Fujitsu - Russian representative of Fujitsu fujitsu-battery.ru
Maha Powerex, IMEDION, Fujitsu, Panasonic Eneloop - online shop ru.nkon.nl
Turnigy - online store HobbyKing www.hobbyking.com

I spent four months of testing and three days to write this article. I hope this will be useful to you.

© 2015 Alex Nadёzhin

Source: geektimes.ru/company/lamptest/blog/265200/

Tags

See also

New and interesting