15 proven ways to overcome writer's block

Designer and musician Alex Cornell questioned experienced professionals - artists, designers, writers, composers - as they cope with the loss of inspiration.

Answers he collected in his book "Once a creative crisis." By the way, our friends from the publishing house "Mann, Ivanov and Ferber" give all readers Website this book. Download it for free and enjoy.

Paul Madonna, illustrator and cartoonist, "paint with blind».

- I'm starting to overcome a creative crisis with a blind draw. It is an exercise that has many variations, but the general rule is that you draw the object, just looking at him and looking down at the paper. It is best to do it quickly, for example, for thirty seconds.

The genius of this exercise is that you can not criticize yourself for blind drawings. As a limited time, you willy-nilly to make quick, decisive movements, and the inability to see the lines at the time the releases you from subsequent criticism and reworking. All figures blindly look like wicked sketches, and yet they have a graceful imperfections, giving them an inexplicable beauty.

Camm Rowland, creative director at Digital Kitchen: «Have some coffee before going to sleep».

Why not drink coffee right before going to sleep ?! This will turn into a high-speed plug mental destructive competition. Of course, the lie for hours in the dark and listen to your pulse - bad advice from the medical point of view, but - hey, hey - I'm not a doctor. Write down everything that comes to mind. When you reread record in the morning, 75% will be incomprehensible to you, 20% may seem funny, but the remaining 5% will be absolutely stunning.

Christian Helms, a graphic designer, "Changing the Angles».

One of the best ways to avoid creative stagnation - to admit that you have a problem, and to give it new meaning. I usually try to look at your tasks from a different angle. How would the decision, if the product is not intended for people, but for dogs? How would we then talk about it? What if a restaurant has been decorated in the style of a movie?

Changing the approach and discussion of different points of view may lead to an unexpected and unique solutions.

Chaz Russo, a graphic designer, "Listen to music».

Once in a creative dead end, I have to restart your consciousness. First of all, I get up and leave. No matter, I have a deadline or not. I find a new room, a new place where you can sit a bit. There I turn on the music - for example, In Lounge by Ennio Morricone and David Holmes soundtrack for the film by Steven Soderbergh. This incredible music - simple design for a hearing. She always manages to draw a new picture in my head. The absence of words that have reported to me what to think, it is very refreshing. At this point, I'm usually inspired enough to get a notebook and make a sketch. Sketches usually lead to good ideas, good ideas and I return to the workplace - with a renewed consciousness.

Blake Whitman, vice president of creative development Vimeo: «Walk».

I live in New York, but in my heart I am a man of nature. Therefore, when I was overtaken by a creative crisis, I usually want to get away from their environment and find a more inspiring place for reflection or work. The most creative moments happen when I get into the open air, and I plunged into the contemplation of the beauties of nature. To go into more scenic spots is not easy, especially in the city, but to change the situation, as a rule, is simple. Get up, go out for a walk in the end, just look closely at the photo of Yosemite - who knows, maybe this will help.

Ji Lee, creative director at Facebook: «Take a shower and do the cleaning».

I do the following: take a shower for a long time. Somehow, in the shower, I think a little differently. Water washes away old thoughts, and I feel refreshed. Then I do the cleaning. I can not stand to think until around mess. If this does not work, I'm going to bike ride and I try not to think about the project. By the end of the trip all as a matter of getting better.

Claire Dederer, writer: "Close in an expensive hotel».

This only works if you're a little low on money. Populated for three days in an expensive hotel. Well, if it is close to the airport or any other dismal place. Bring everything you need to excite yourself, sweets, bourbon, coffee, nicotine patches. Pants with elastic waist. And a stack of books that you love, but read at least twice. After checking hand over the keys at the reception and instruct in any case not to return them to you, no matter how you begged. Now. Write a ten thousand words. If you feel that you have reached a dead end, just think of the money that you spend sitting here and staring blankly at the wall.

Alexi Murdoch, a musician: "Do something».

I present to you the top 10:
1. Take home all hours.
2. Mirrors, too.
3. If you live near a body of water with the cold water, take a dip in it.
4. Do not think about the future.
5 Think of the audience as the enemy.
6. At a time refuse food.
7. Take photos of strangers in a local second-hand store.
8. Remember that in a week exactly 168 hours.
9. Download free some creative application.
10. If all else fails, cut the finger itself.

Simon Page, a graphic designer, "Find your beach».

Anyone who has seen my blog to Flickr, knows that I am on the beach more often than the rescuers. It's where I feel most comfortable and can freely indulge in flights of fancy. It is important to find a beach - wherever he was - and come to him as often as possible. Always carry a notebook, even if you currently do not have thoughts that might be in his record - his mere presence often provides an influx of new ideas. I rarely do sketches for projects that work, but anyone who saw my notebook, knows that it's full of doodles, which are invaluable when I get to a dead end.

eBoy, pixel artists: "Enjoy the crisis».

Here's our TOP:

Begin to work on anything. Can get a complete nonsense. But you've already done something, and now it will be much easier to continue. Accept the fact that you are disabled. Wait and use this time to fill the consciousness of the fact that you can use later. Do not be too choosy, any experience could be valuable. Take something old and slightly modified or completely redesigned. It can be as old picture and your bike. Change the method of work. For example, use your left hand. Try the new program. Place the paper on which he worked, to autostart. Every morning, he will appear in front of you as soon as you turn on the computer. Publish your sketches. Stay on the mind can motivate you. Do not pursue quality, think about how to get involved. Stop do. Why not? Be happy consumer and keep those who are creating! You can always turn the tables! As a last resort to get bored as much as you can. Do not try to relax. It is likely that after a while you want to work unbearable. Enjoy your depression.

Thomas Doyle, an artist: "Read Wikipedia».

Wikipedia - an inexhaustible source of random facts, which helps in generating new ideas. Having read about something in Wikipedia, I move from page to page. While I was writing this review, I had to open a random article - it was dedicated to Thomas McNeill. From there I moved on to the article "Secret Society", and references therein explain what secret knowledge, mystery or conspiracy theory. Of course, this information can to push me on something new in my work.

Mark Jones, the illustrator: "Imagine that you are an opossum».

Imagine that you are someone else. The chef at the restaurant worker, repairs escalators, the pilot, the seller of hot dogs or opossum. As they look at the world? It would seem that such an offer sounds strange, but the challenge of this exercise - to help you look at the problem from a new angle. If, in order to come up with a brilliant idea or a non-standard solution, you need to stand on your head and imagine that you are an opossum - do it. The genius sleeps in each of us, and only need to be able to wake her up.

Tim Amos, illustrator, "Sit by the washing machine».

Drop everything and go to wash clothes. When I sit and look at running the washing machine, my mind calm down and come to order.

Tom Mueller, a graphic designer, "Look" Shop on the couch "».

I realized that the best way for me - to defer the case to the side and do something completely different. For example, a bike ride through the neighborhood, go to the store, read comics or watch TV (after careful study I was convinced that it is best suited for this purpose channels such as "Shop on the couch"). Routine work distracts my attention from work and give thoughts to flow freely.

The Heads of State, graphic designers, "Eat spicy food».

Nothing clears your head (and incidentally make a grown man cry) as spicy food. Personally, I recommend Tom Yam Gong (sour spicy Thai soup with seafood or chicken), pepper crab (legendary Singaporean dish is spicy, it seems that you burn even fingers) and fish head curry (usually cooked with vegetables, for example, with eggplant, and garnish served rice). Once you go, and propoteete vyplachetes, any problems will seem insignificant.

via # image13772160

Tags

See also

New and interesting