15 facts about philosophers

1. «I know that I know nothing" - well-known dictum of Socrates. In addition to his other Socrates, Plato gave the phrase: "I always say that I know nothing, except a very small science - e * Otik (the science of love). And there I was terribly strong ».

2. Plato was not only a philosopher but also the Olympic champion. Twice he won the pankration competition - a mixture of boxing and wrestling without rules.

3. Italian philosopher Cardano imagined that he was being spied upon all governments, and meat, which he served, specially impregnated with wax and sulfur.

4. About Montesquieu told us that on the floor near the table where he was involved, it was possible to notice a permanent deepening of the twitching legs.

5. Rousseau made his brain work harder, standing in the sun with his head uncovered. Friedrich Schiller, working on his compositions, always kept his feet in cold water.

6. Denis Diderot forget the days, months, years, and the names of loved ones.

7. Arthur Schopenhauer was furious and refused to pay bills in hotels, if his name was written by two p.

8. Students of ancient Greek philosopher Plato once asked him to give a definition of a person, to which he replied: "Man is an animal on two legs, devoid of feathers." However, after Diogenes of Sinope brought to the Academy plucked cock and showed him as a man of Plato, Plato had to add to the definition: "And with flat nails».

9. Queen of France, Marie Antoinette is credited with the phrase "let them eat cake," she allegedly said, after learning that the peasants are starving. But for the first time this phrase wrote Jean-Jacques Rousseau before the birth of Marie-Antoinette. Apparently, it said some other queen or princess, but who exactly, no single answer.

10. After the death of Plato in 347 BC. e., Aristotle became the tutor his son King of Macedonia, the future Alexander the Great.

11. A young man asked Socrates:
- Sage, say, to marry me or not.
- Act like you want - still sorry.

12. Socrates deeply despised luxury, considering that value only what is necessary for life.

13. It is known that in 399 BC. e., when Socrates was about 70 years old, he was convicted, sentenced to death and executed.

14. The first known clock was a sundial, which occurred on the gnomon. But the sundial have one drawback - they need the sun, that is, if cloudy or night, sunny hours can not be used. Therefore, in Babylon (or Egypt - the scientists can not determine exactly) in the XVI century BC clepsydra was invented - a water clock. The device is extremely simple clepsydra - water dripped through the hole, and on the glass at the level it was possible to judge what hour. Great Plato created on the basis of a clepsydra Service - flowing water compresses air at the bottom of the tank which was blown. At a certain pressure, the fuse can be folded and compressed air rushes into the figure flute player, flute passing through it causes a sharp sound that awakened the disciples of Plato, urging them to class.

15. The very first collection described in the scientific work, belonged to Aristotle. Aristotle was an avid collector, collected and described a large number of plants from many countries. The main supplier of its collection was Alexander the Great.

A selection was: Lori Destroy

via factroom.ru

Tags

See also

New and interesting