Impostor syndrome - when the man thinks that his success he did not deserve

A person with this syndrome feels constantly obmanschikom

If you sometimes think that you are unworthy of praise or recognition, despite your obvious success, then maybe you are suffering from an impostor syndrome. For example, actress Emma Watson, despite its professionalism and success, I felt a cheat, and this feeling is inherent to many people.

It feels at least once in a lifetime experience most people: according to the magazine «Time», in 1985, 70% of respondents admitted that. The feeling is quite normal, if there periodically for a short time. However, sometimes this syndrome develops, and the person begins to believe that he was indeed an impostor - then there are individual attitudes and behavior based on this belief. The most common syndrome seen in athletes and people of creative professions.

One of the characteristic features of the impostor syndrome is that people almost never can admit it to others for fear that if he says: "I feel like a fraud", he will answer something like: "Yes, we suspected." Where safer - not to talk about their fears nothing, but doubts remain.

The second characteristic of the syndrome is that no evidence is not affected. On the contrary, most people have direct evidence of its success - the certificates, diplomas, salary, goals achieved. Despite this, the feeling remains, and people play complex games in your own mind, to devalue their achievements: "I was just lucky, or helped me, next time will be more difficult, and someone certainly guess that I'm not so clever ».

A simple treatment that would be suitable to everyone, does not exist, but you can deal with the impostor syndrome by means of self-consciousness - to stop being afraid of success and start to enjoy it. Even if it does not relieve you of the impostor syndrome, then, at least, help them to manage.

via factroom.ru

Tags

See also

New and interesting