Non-Newtonian fluid

In the kitchen, in addition to cooking, you can put all sorts of interesting and experiments. One of them - the properties of non-Newtonian fluid. For those who are reluctant to go into Wikipedia, I will say briefly that this liquid behaves differently depending on the exposure. If the affect it dramatically, stronger, faster - it exhibits properties similar to the properties of solids, and with a slow exposure becomes a liquid. Surely you've encountered such a liquid when cooked oatmeal. For thickening jelly starch is mixed with a small amount of fluid and perhaps you noticed that such a thing as a bad stirred, feeling that lumps remain and starch settles all the time. This is especially noticeable if interfere quickly feel resistance. And if you interfere with the slow, fluid homogeneous. For the experiment, mix approximately equal amounts of starch and water (water even less) by pouring water on the starch and stirring. The result was a white liquid, pour it into the palm.

Rapid movements try to roll a ball or sausage.

Or slowly lower your finger in a bowl.

And another finger tap on the liquid rapidly - you will feel that it is elastic and the finger will remain clean.

Slowly lower into the liquid thumb and index finger.

Quickly press them and you will see a solid lump between his fingers. This is not frozen starch is non-Newtonian fluid exerts its properties.

Try to dip their fingers, and then pull sharply (cup not break!)

Pour starch from one cup to the other - lift higher, and you will see that the liquid flows from the top, and below it becomes harder!

To the liquid remained solid, it is necessary to continuously influence, knead.

Here ball.

But as soon as the impact has ceased, it leaked through his fingers.

Supplement: lay down to sleep alone, and my head resting on the pillow, visit the following thought: Wikipedia says that the blood is also a non-Newtonian fluid, but these properties, we did not notice her. Apparently, these liquids have different properties and combines them that they are non-Newtonian. And there is some ... well, I'm not a physicist, but only in electrical engineering.

Tags

See also

New and interesting