Infinitely touching story told by one taxi driver

This story was told by one of the taxi drivers in New York.

"I arrived at the address, and signaled. After waiting a few minutes, he signaled again. This call was the last shift, and I was thinking to turn around and leave. Instead, I parked the car and walked to the door. Knocked ... "Wait a minute" - I heard an elderly voice. Through the door I could hear something being dragged across the floor.

There was a long pause, then the door opened. In front of me was a small woman of about 90. She was wearing a colored dress and hat with veil - from movies like the 40s. Nearby stood a suitcase. Dwelling looked completely uninhabited - all the furniture was covered with covers on the walls was nowhere in hours, shelves were empty. In the corner was a cardboard box with photos and glassware.

"You could not carry my bag in the car?" - Asked the old woman. I took the suitcase and went back to help her. The woman took my arm and we walked slowly to the taxi. On the road a long time she thanked me for the kindness. "Not at all," - I said, - "I just try to treat my passengers the way I would like to be treated and to my mother." "You're a good man," - she said. When we sat in the car, the woman gave the address and asked: "Can we drive through the city?" I said quickly: "It's not the closest way." "It's nothing, I'm not in a hurry", - said the old woman, - "I do not care in a nursing home" .

I looked in the rearview mirror - a woman's eyes glistened. "I have not left anyone of the close" - a quiet voice she continued the story. - "The doctor said I had a short time left." I silently held out his hand to the counter and turn it off. "Which way do you want to go?" - I asked.

The next two hours, we drove through the city. The woman showed me the building where he once worked as a lifter. We traveled the whole area, where she lived with her husband after the wedding. Then she asked me to stop in front of the furniture store, which previously was a dance hall. In her youth she went there to dance.

At times, she asked me to drive slowly past the buildings or on the corners, and she sat and stared into the darkness, saying nothing. When the sun began to appear over the horizon, suddenly the woman said: "I'm tired, let's go." In silence we arrived at the address she had given me at the beginning. Before us was a low building, like a small resort, with a driveway.

We approached the car workers as soon as we arrived. They behaved politely, courteously watching every move of the old woman. It was obvious that it is waiting for. I opened the trunk and lifted the small suitcase to the door. The woman was already seated in a wheelchair. "How much do I owe you?" - She said, and reached for his wallet. "Not at all," - I replied. "You have to make a living," - replied the old woman. "For this, there are other passengers," - I replied. Obeying the subconscious impulse, I leaned over and hugged her. She hugged me. "You gave an old woman a little joy - she said - thank you." I shook her hand and walked to the car. Behind me, the door closed. So sounds the end of life.

That shift, I do not take passengers. I drove aimlessly around the city, all in thought. I could talk all day. And what if the woman got angry taxi driver? What if the taxi driver ended with the change, and he did not want to waste your time? If I refused to go? Or have signaled once and left?

I believe that in my life, it was the most important thing. We used to think that our lives revolve around just the highlights. But the important point is often appear in the form of which many deem insignificant ".

Tags

See also

New and interesting