Dinner is served. Astronauts on the ISS for the first time try a salad grown in orbit

So in the future might look like plantation plants on the space station i>

Fresh herbs grown in microgravity, the first time officially included in menu the International Space Station. August 10, 2015, astronauts try lettuce harvested from the orbital plantation Veggie .

Before eating the astronauts finished sheets disinfection liquid based on citric acid. Just go into the kitchen half the crop. The second half of the pack, frozen and sent to Earth for scientific analysis.

Experiment Veg-01 conducted to examine the health and performance of stand-alone module Veggie for growing plants. In the future, these modules can be a constant source of food for astronauts and colonists on other planets, especially Mars.

module Veggie i>

The experiment has been going on for over a year. The first "pad" with lettuce seeds in the module was activated in May 2014. Within 33 days of the harvest gathered, and in October 2014 was sent to Earth for analysis of safety.

The second batch of "pads" activated July 8, 2015, and again 33 days later collected a second crop, which is now consumed for its intended purpose.

Veggie hardware system developed by Orbital Technologies Corp. (ORBITEC) and tested in the Space Center. Kennedy. The module delivered to the ISS SpaceX ship in April 2014, along with two sets of "pads" with zinnia seeds and varieties of lettuce Romaine. The module is equipped with a flat panel LED lighting plant red, blue and green colors of weak to stimulate growth and observation. Green added that the plants looked edible.

"The longer and longer to be the astronauts from Earth, the greater the need to grow plants for food, clean atmosphere and psychological relief. I think that the system of seedlings will be an important part of any long-term research missions, "- says Dr. Gioia Massa (Gioia Massa), a scientist with the project in Veggie Space Center. Kennedy.

Source: geektimes.ru/post/259982/

Tags

See also

New and interesting