Hawaii continues to experiment in long-term isolation team of astronauts

University of Hawaii Photos i> sup>
For about eight months, a team of seven volunteers the bulk of their time проводит in an isolated room area of ​​112 square meters, which is on the top of one of the extinct volcanoes in Hawaii USA. The surrounding landscape and privacy perfectly consistent with the objective of a scientific experiment - check the consistency and the psychological state of the crew of the ship during the expedition to Mars. To complete the feeling the whole team was planted in place of the experiment on parachutes with the help of the military, and communication with the control center of volunteers comes with a delay of 20 minutes.

This experiment - it's part of an ongoing long-term research program Hawaii Space Exploration Analog and Simulation ( HI-SEAS ). According to its plans, the seven volunteers - four men and three women - have to spend eight months under conditions simulating the flight and stay on Mars. Some members of the team - engineers, besides one of the volunteers - well-known expert on fitness, Tony Norton, which should follow the physical condition of the team during the experiment and monitor the implementation of the training program. June 13, 2015 at 11 am local time, the experiment is over.

University of Hawaii Photos - exterior station i> sup>
Lifestyle volunteers who were selected from over 700 candidates, largely mimics real life astronauts. They feed on a limited supply of products with a limited rate of water for drinking and showers, are obliged to carry out a specific time for exercise, and perform a number of planned personal experiments, such as printing on different parts of 3D-printers. Many participants in the experiment have blogs on wordpress: eg this and this < / a>, where "astronauts" to share their experiences and discuss the "mundane" events such as the Eurovision Song Contest or winning Canada in the final of the world championship on hockey.

The team also has a common twitter, from which you can understand what they are doing. For example, watch "Star Wars»:

The force is strong on sMars, celebrating with Return of the Jedi - HI-SEAS (HI_SEAS ) blockquote> to play board games:

The battle between Neil's Central Powers and Martha's Allied Powers rages on. - HI-SEAS (HI_SEAS) blockquote> Or cook that for "Mars" looks quite appetizing:

31 days! Before we blow this popsicle stand, spam and popsicle stick = corn dogs for din tonight - HI-SEAS (HI_SEAS) blockquote> It is also possible to leave the premises and go for a walk, but while "astronaut" must wear lightweight spacesuit. It looks like this:

From another angle picture looks more atmospheric:

If you wish, you can almost sprawl "in the ground" and play golf:

Photo HI-SEAS i> sup>

On a similar topic - long stay on another planet - there is a science fiction novel by American writer Andy Weir's "Martian." It describes in detail the history of the engineer and biologist Mark Watney, who in a tragic coincidence, is the only man on Mars and who is forced to look for ways to its salvation. In November 2015 should see the film by Ridley Scott, based on the book, the main role in which performs a well-known Hollywood actor Matt Damon.

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting