Balloons Project Loon from Google have gone the distance of 3 million kilometers

It looked like a prototype balloon in January 2013 i>

The project Google Project Loon Corporation to provide access to the network residents most remote regions continues to grow. At the time of data balloons Project Loon overcame a total distance of 3 million kilometers (how many balloons are involved, not reported).

Develop projects and improving themselves balloons. If earlier one such "floating hotspot" has launched a whole team with auxiliary equipment a day, now it is much faster. The day a team can run the 20 balloons.

In the stratosphere, such balloons can now hang months. Earlier stay balloon in the stratosphere does not exceed 10 days. Now, this period increased by 10 times. Is a permanent record hovering in the upper atmosphere for 130 days. Incidentally, an interesting fact: one balloon Google need to download the volume of gas that would be enough for 7000 normal balloons.

So now launching balloons i>

By the way, not so long ago, Google Inc. has signed a cooperation agreement with telecom operator Telstra in Australia . This is where the work is checked Flying access points, and the company Telstra just provides signal transmission of the ball on the ground. To do this, Google partner provides access to its base stations (working radio spectrum - 2, 6 GHz).

It is worth noting that the balls, according to a corporation, it is practically impossible to retain the same place, because of the constant air flow dynamics. However, experts have learned to predict the corporation, and very precisely, the trajectory of the balloon. One of the balls covered a distance of 9000 km, with the end point of his journey was accurately predicted by experts corporation before launching the ball.

In general, as long as all goes well, and I would hope that Google and companies working on similar projects (Facebook, SpaceX ) can quickly proceed to the practical implementation of the plans.

Source: geektimes.ru/post/241860/

Tags

See also

New and interesting