Mine under the auspices of UNESCO

Chilean town of Sewell is located at an altitude of about 2000 meters above sea level. It was built in 1905 by the mining company «Braden Copper». The purpose of the construction of the city was quite simple - here began mining copper ore.

Moreover, the El Teniente mine, located right in the city, is considered still the largest underground copper mine. The city itself was the first, as an example of the construction of single-industry towns in remote areas of the planet. It was impossible to get anything other than rail transport and there are no streets as such. All limited exclusively walkways and staircases. That ladder is the main canvas for the movement of local residents. The city expanded. Here artificially planted trees and even has several areas.

At its peak, in Sewell lived more than 15 thousand people. By 1980, the year of the last city left residents and Sewell became temporary housing for engineers and other professionals. To date, the mine continues to operate, giving 3% of the world, and the city became a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Tags

See also

New and interesting