The Green Mile: mouse, the Giants and the bottle in pants

Year: 1999
Slogan: "Paul Edgecombe did not believe in miracles. Not yet encountered one of them »
Director: Frank Darabont
Genre: Fantasy, Drama, Crime, Detective, ... words
Budget: $ 60 million

Charges in the USA: $ 136,801,374
Charges in the world: + $ 150 million = $ 286,801,374

The novel "The Green Mile", which was filmed on the same film was written by King in 1996. By this time it was released films about the notorious prison Shawshank. But the author is so impressed with the theme of correctional institutions lifers or criminals sentenced to death, he continued in her new novel, providing a theme other philosophical reflections, unexpected plot moves and brilliantly written out the characters of the protagonists. Not without its mystical moments that made the novel very unexpected and truly breathtaking.

Film based on the novel, and in many ways appropriate to their literary predecessors. Actors playing the main and secondary characters, matched very well, they just are what they describe the king of terrors.
"The Green Mile" was called the corridor through which must pass the convict to the electric chair. Those last few tens of steps that lead to death. In US prisons such a path is called the "last mile", but in the building, which is narrated in the film, this was the green mile, making it and it was so called.

Naturally, a film about prison, or rather even to a small group of suicide bombers and the relationship between them. But the plot will not talk, it can be estimated by looking at the movie itself, read a book. Let's talk about how the picture was shot.
One of the biggest challenges for the filmmakers Frank Darabont had to pick the right actors. Seemingly, nothing complicated. But the problem arose immediately. The fact that the plot of Stephen King Beast - incredibly large in itself. And just incredibly good-natured. Though he is huge, but, nevertheless, not hurt a fly. For this character actor picked up quickly. They became David Morse - a man tall and strong.

The problem arose with John Coffey. It was to be, first, black, and, secondly, incredible giant. In comparison, the Beast - like a kid, and it's not just stressed by the King in the book. Find an actor seemed impossible. Himself Bruce Willis, recently starring in "Armageddon", recommended for the role of Mark Clarke Duncan, partner "Die Hard" in this film.
Externally, the actor approached. But its growth - no. The catch turned out that David Morse just a few centimeters below the Mark Clark Duncan. Filmmakers had to go to all sorts of tricks to show gigantism Coffey.

Mice also had problems. The fact that they are intelligent animals, though, but still before the intellect of Mr. Dzhinglsa them far. Therefore, in the role of a talented little mouse were used 30 eared cheese lovers. Everyone was given the name of any member of the crew. While no animals were harmed.

Now about the instrument of execution - the electric chair. He certainly was not present. However, to build a machine of death on real drawings. In a basis the model that existed in the days of the Depression. The king decided to sit inside a horror scary machine. King wanted to feel the feelings of convicts. According to him, the experience was terrible.

Place to shoot steel 2 States: Tennessee and North Carolina. Very interesting episode in which Paul Coffey treated. According to the book, like the script, he had to grab the overseer for the groin, in fact there was an infection. Mark Clarke Duncan very shy to do it, and could not overcome the feeling. Then Tom Hanks, who plays Paul Edgecombe, shoved his pants usually empty bottle. So the issue was resolved, and the scene is filmed.

In the film, one of the characters is entertaining mouse, which was named after Mr. Dzhinglz. In the shooting involved more than 30 mice. Together, they represented the whole crew and after real actors they were given their own names.
Mouse, even the champions among centenarians, still can not overcome the barrier of 7 years. Mr. Dzhingls, judging by the story, lived for no less than 64-65 years. Hands Coffey has a truly magical properties.

The novel was written in parts, and the first published separate pamphlets.
"The Green Mile" by Stephen King received the award «Stoker» in the nomination "The best novel of 1996»
Stephen King until the end of writing the book could not decide how to finish the story of John Coffey - he remains alive or not.
Its unusual name of the hero of the works of Stephen King was in honor of history professor, college professor John Coffee. Author of the mystical thriller loved his name. Besides initials (JC) correspond to the initials of Jesus Christ (Jesus Christ), that is very symbolic.

According to the original idea, Tom Hanks had to fulfill the role of old-Paul Edgecombe. After a pair of three experiments makeup was decided that properly make up Tom does not succeed, and then on the small role was selected Dobbs Greer.
The film was nominated four times in 2000 for "Oscar". Awards for best film nor nor for best screenplay, nor for acting work reel of film do not get that, however, did not prevent her from becoming a legend of world cinema, staying on top of popularity for fifteen years.

Awards
2000 - Award «Saturn»
• The best film in the genre of action / adventure / thriller
• Best Supporting Actor - Michael Clarke Duncan
• Best Supporting Actress - Patricia Clarkson

Some quotes:
"My name is John Coffey. As a drink, only spelled differently ».
"If a person sincerely repents of his sins, he can go back to a time that was happiest for him and stay there forever».
"And you too will die, and I shall live. And this is my curse ».
"His death he paid for all their sins. Show respect for him now ».
"Each of us sooner or later will have to undergo a green mile ...»
"When the Lord shall call on his holy court, he asked me:" Why did you kill one of these my miracles? "What do I tell him? What's my job? »
"We are all doomed to death, without exception, I know, but, oh God, sometimes the Green Mile so long ...»
"They helped him kill himself. And so it happens every day all over the world ».
"I'm so tired of the pain that I hear and feel, boss. I'm tired of the road, tired of being alone, like a sparrow in the rain. Tired of that never with anyone I did not split the company and do not say why and where we are going. I'm tired of people hate each other. She looks like shards of glass in the brain. I'm tired of the fact that so much time trying to help but could not. I'm tired of the dark. But most of the pain. Its too much. If I could myself over with! »

After watching the films of such quality are beginning to rethink all the values ​​of life, a different attitude to people in general and in particular to close people. And this educational feature film - the most valuable and expensive.

Source: kaksnimali2.ru

Tags

See also

New and interesting