Brezhnev's personal photographer

Vladimir Musaelyan long been a personal photographer of Leonid Brezhnev - a controversial and ambitious figure in Russian history. Who better than a personal photo of the first person in the country know about it everything? Interesting interview with Vladimir Musaelyanom in the continuation of the post!

- How Brezhnev was for you personally?
- He looked at you - and could not lie to him. See you through. 18 years to lead the country - it's not so simple. And Leonid Brezhnev was a man of benevolent, "a real Russian, full of feelings," as Henry Kissinger about it.

- KGB censored pictures - that can be printed and what is not?
- KGB in our work did not interfere. I went to the Secretary General with the pictures, and he claimed.

- What kind of pictures he had not approved?
- Was this topic in the American magazine: rented offices of leaders of countries. They wanted to get a photo of Brezhnev's office. Leonid Brezhnev agreed to shoot without it. I went in the evening, rented an empty room. On the table are left phone next chair. Brought him to approve a stack of pictures. He shot the desktop - to the side. I told him again pushes. He again - to the side. I - him: "Leonid Ilyich, good picture!" "I said not to." And then I explained the general director of TASS, "I know why he did not approve a picture. There's an empty chair it. Does not want journalists speculated who sit in this chair after him ».

By Leonid Ilyich photos taken seriously. He was very photogenic, charming, impozanten. And his appearance followed. Brezhnev seen in photos of the policy and skillfully used. Usually taken to the press official pictures. Informal postponed to the folder PDP (not for publication). In 1971, he was going on a working visit to France. And then Brezhnev asked me for his pictures more freely. Long fingered. Especially liked the one on which chronicled on the deck wearing sunglasses and a tracksuit, "I am here, as Alain Delon!" Eight frames forwarded to the Agence France-Presse. Come to France - these pictures in the newspapers and magazines.

- They say, Brezhnev about their appearance ironically?
- No. Is that above the eyebrows. Once one of the people - and he loved to go to the people - to his question: "How do you know me?" - Said: "According to the eyebrows." And he remembered the phrase as a joke. To jokes about himself treated with humor: "compose - means respect." And he could tell the anecdote in meetings with leaders to defuse the situation. However, once after the next price increase, I sang for him popular among the people ditty: "In && ka worth six and eight, still we drink will not abandon. Give Ilyich - we ducat on the shoulder. Well, if it is more, it turns out in Poland. " And then with Poland had a difficult relationship. Brezhnev looked at me intently, "You is there (pointed to the street) sing." No longer sang.

- What are the habits you have acquired while working with Brezhnev?
- Firstly, there is rapid. Secretary General dined on mission for eight minutes. I initially went up from the table hungry. Then adapted. And until now, it will all still have a lot of ... behind the wheel to drive. From Zavidova as we rushed! I went to the Kremlin for his car 7474 CIM black "Volga" with a flashlight, siren, telephone. I was a tough guy in his time (laughs)! And I had a "Opel Rekord". Prize from the Germans. In 1974, sent to the international exhibition of five photos of Leonid Brezhnev during his visit to Malaya Zemlya. And the West German firm awarded me first prize and the car "Opel Rekord". Leonid Ilyich saw the car, patted her wing and joked: "Good, but four-wheel drive - my».

- And in the Kremlin on it drove ?!
- It is not! In the Kremlin even Leonid Brezhnev on foreign car never went. Here in Zavidovo sat in his favorite "Rolls-Royce" and went on the hunt. And so - only in the "carriage" of their country! It was his advertising domestic producer, to which he was serious about.

- Who impressed Brezhnev of the world leaders?
- He respectfully treated to many, but especially to Indira Gandhi. I saw that they like each other.
One day, he met with German Chancellor Willy Brandt in the Crimea. German entourage was dumbfounded when Brezhnev persuaded Brandt refreshing dip in the pool, and even lent to their reserve melting ... They swam and talked - translator ran along the edge. And I, of course, all shot. The meeting was just "without ties»!

Incidentally, Leonid Ilyich I trusted. I have a photo, which is me Brezhnev as Nixon's personal photographer - and I'm the president of America's hand shook.
By the way, in its relations with the United States first had problems after the Cuban missile crisis. When Nixon was replaced by his Secretary of State Rogers, Kissinger, everything changed for the better. Brezhnev dragged Kissinger in Zavidovo, talks arranged directly during the shooting of wild boars. Although Kissinger not a hunter. It was fun to watch it without a gun, a hunting boots - and the tower. Nixon was filled with sympathy to Brezhnev, first the stories of Henry Kissinger, and later in person. Together they went to the Crimea.

Saved each other
- Contingency moments on the go - says Musaelyan. - During his visit to Poland Brezhnev had to undergo the ceremony of laying wreaths at the monument to Soviet soldiers. Wreaths were carrying military, was followed Brezhnev, who suddenly decided to jump on the high granite step, but lost his balance and began to fall back. Right on the rocks! This could lead to tragedy. And next to him anyone except me, was not there. I dropped the camera, grabbed Brezhnev's hand kept. Leonid Ilyich abruptly snatched his hand: "It hurts." In the evening, thanked. The security chief told me later: "We did not know what to do! You saved us all ».

- He saved you ...
- Yes, when I had a heart attack at 41, he showed part. Called the head of the main department of the Fourth Chazov, then inquired about the health ...

- Speak, for your photo archive foreign journalists offered a million dollars?
- Anything can happen. As a messenger arrived from abroad and offered to make me a heart surgery "for free" - for the archive. But history and trust do not trade!

The last portrait
This photo was taken in Crimea two months before the death of the General Secretary.
- I Brezhnev did not show this shot - recognized photographer. - He would have me it just did not approve. Oleg (Commandant of the family Brezhnev Oleg side. - Ed.), He put a soft chair. Leonid Ilyich did not like these chairs, sitting on chairs. But then Oleg persuaded ...

Tags

See also

New and interesting