Zhukov and Odessa

Link
In June 1946, an investigation was initiated "trophy case" Georgy Zhukov. Marshal of the accused that he was using his connections and power, brought from Germany a lot of values. He had seized 4,000 meters of fabric, 323 fur skins, 44 carpets and tapestries, 55 paintings, 55 boxes of dishes, 20 hunting rifles, 17 gold watches and other valuables. Zhukov wrote an explanatory note to the Zhdanov: "I plead guilty to the very fact that it did not pass all the unnecessary junk to me anywhere on the warehouse, hoping that no one needs it." Despite the words of repentance and the assurance of reliability, the marshal was removed from his post of Commander of the Army and was appointed commander of the Odessa District. June 4, 1946 Zhukov arrived in Odessa. On the apron arrived two lettered cars and platforms with cars Zhukov. Marshall arrived with her daughter. Upon arrival Zhukov immediately went reported to the Regional Party Committee.

Special conditions
Zhukov was a stranger to Odessa. Understanding how to solve certain issues he and the inhabitants of Odessa different. In the words of historian Viktor Savchenko, Odessa has always existed a layer of people who controlled all city structures are not using bureaucratic hitches, and "word of honor". Savchenko wrote: "You could call and say," Monya, what is it? Let's release this fellow. " And the "friend" is issued. The climate of postwar Odessa, by definition Isaiah Bondarev, who worked at that time in the military commandant's office, recalls "the second NEP", focused on the life bringing, where everything was, but not for all. Food prices were very high. It is not surprising that at night Odessa "shaking" from looting. Crime situation in the city was critical, and therefore measures (primarily administrative) to require extraordinary. In other words, the "word of honor" bandits marshal did not want to negotiate. Zhukov was initiated operation "Masquerade". To catch criminals staff dressed in civilian clothes and used the method of "fishing with live bait," cracking down on the spot with the bandits.

Methods
Zhukov was primarily a military man and accustomed to act decisively so popular rumor attributed to him the merits of the criminal investigation of Odessa in the fight against post-war banditry. Ostensibly Zhukov's personal orders almost gave the right to shoot any suspicious person on the spot. Such an order, however, is not in any archive. And it could not be. Disgraced marshal in a letter to Stalin himself wrote: "At a meeting of the Supreme Military Council, I gave you the floor as soon as possible to eliminate the mistakes that I made and I perform my word. I work in the district and many with great desire. I ask you, Comrade Stalin, I have full confidence, I will justify your trust & quot ;. It is doubtful that such a letter after Zhukov ordered to conduct a "sweep" of the population of Odessa on the mere suspicion of involvement in a gang of bandits. Odessa operatives acted in accordance with the statute. There were, of course, and "excesses on the ground", but they were because the police men came with front-line experience, during the arrest bandit groups, they do not reflect on, and act, shoot to kill. Isai Bondarev recalled that the military helped law enforcement agencies in Odessa searches, detentions, accompanied by the detainees. It was in the order of things.
Privilege epaulettes
However, quite without influence Zhukov here still has not done. After the war, the city began returning veterans. Many of them, those who went to war straight from school, were neither family nor a civil profession. People find it difficult to nourish a peaceful life, hence the abuse of power, an understanding of the "right arms and shoulder straps." It is important that these processes occur not only in Odessa, but that events in the Odessa Military District attracted the most attention. Said of the activity of the local population. Seeing lawlessness Odessites not silent, even on the ballot they requested to clean up and deal with the criminal element as well as those who, under the guise of epaulets and military experience, does not give the city sleep peacefully. Impact on the military by and large determined by the role of Zhukov in Odessa. He managed to bring the situation under control, cooperation between the military and law enforcement agencies. His word meant a lot.

Honored Worker MIA
Effective service Zhukov in the Odessa Military District, but failed his final "whitewash." January 20, 1948 the Politburo also accused of embezzling Marshal captured values. Issued a decree on sending Zhukov in smaller military district, in the Urals. Nevertheless, Zhukov was in the 70s Honored worker MIA. It is believed that for the Odessa operation, dubbed "Masquerade" Interior Minister lye and awarded Georgy.

Source: russian7.ru

Tags

See also

New and interesting