Happy birthday, Jimmy Wales (Wikipedia father)

2001, 1 year after the creation of Wikipedia i>

Though it started with Jimmy securities trading and поисковика "Men» , yet for me he is the founding father of the most capacious resource invaluable treasure of links to primary sources (and even I use Wikipedia as a translator).

Let Jimmy is begging face fundraising, albeit he is accused of that he tore the award to one of the Prime President and biography rules for the money, but I'm still glad that he was on the statement Wales in Pushkin (of course, the same method of social engineering).

He did not earn a billion dollars, he has earned the recognition of billions of people, brought to light the principles of wiki technology (Исландия written constitution on wiki technology). And also earned медаль Niels Bohr and a place in the Hall of Fame Internet .

Article about Jimmy Wales on Wikipedia have 132 languages.

Wikipedia is "a symbol of the era of interaction in which we live, and it's not just a tool, it is a dream come true, as old as the human intellect and the meeting of the Alexandria Library» i> UNESCO statement blockquote>

«Jimmy Wales - a typical genius of the electronic age. Shy A student, an avid gamer, fan of freedom-loving philosophy of Ayn Rand, a supporter of the anarchist social order, Wales begot Wikipedia at your leisure, without even knowing that it will be the largest network project. & Lt; ... & gt; The most interesting thing is that when Jimmy Wales asked what the ultimate goal of Wikipedia, he said: "Not what one fun" » i> Alexander Genis blockquote>
 Happy birthday, великодушный dictator for life Wikipedia!

Speech at TED2005 (with Russian subtitles)

Under the cut poll
Did you write articles on Wikipedia
a lot some < I want to write wrote and will not Only registered users can vote in polls. Sign , please. 693 people voted. Excused 215 people.

Source: habrahabr.ru/post/232511/

Tags

See also

New and interesting