Create a head-mounted display with their hands

Head-mounted display - chic gadget that many can not afford, but dreamed of almost all the gamers of the planet;) In the continuation of the post detailed instructions on making the helmet with his hands and his setting. It is difficult, but it is possible! Look further!

1. Go to the shops

So. The first thing we need to do is to buy everything right. I will consider it my case, but nothing prevents you to use their ingenuity and engineering skills to design your helmet option.

My shopping list:

1. Cyanoacrylate, for the simple superglue. 2pcs = 60rub.
2. Box 11 tools on \ & quot; = 120 rubles.
3. Welding Mask = 70 rubles.
4. Mouse Pad. 2 pieces = 80 rubles. (Or a thin foam)
5. The trailing tape. 2 m = 150 rubles. (Purchased at any sewing store)
6 Magnifiers 5-fold, 65 mm in diameter. 2 pieces = 120 rubles.

And yet, you will need:

1. Nexus 7
2. Nvidia GTX 650 and above (for GameStream)
3. Good WiFi router

I advise you to measure or to take a tablet with you to the store. He will need to try it to the box on the site and choose the best option. The distance from the lens we will have about 6cm.

2. Test the lens

I used a conventional lens of 5x loupe. Oddly enough, they showed the best performance in testing. Distance to the screen in this case is ~ 6-7cm. It is possible to use other lenses. I have been tested glass with 6- and 8-fold increase in viewing angle in this case is higher, but the eye is much more difficult to focus on. In any case, I advise you immediately test and estimate the necessary distance and position of the lens! We strongly recommend testing already at the Games with drivers Vireio Perception. We will consider setting them a little lower. Or use native applications Oculus Rift. Demo for Android do not have common standards and most of them are not designed to work on tablets. Using them, you can spend a lot of time choosing the location of the lens, and then discover that the picture is broadcast from a PC doubles. The only application that I have well earned the tablet - it DiveCityCoaster. For the tests I used an ordinary box. During the experiments it was found that the glass holder of the welding mask and is well suited for fixing my lenses.

3. Build

I used a soldering iron with a thin rod for cutting plastic. Depending on the density of plastic, you can use a saw or knife. When gluing parts oshkurivat advise them, especially a rubber mask.

The lid and the top of the box, I cut down as they were quite weighty, but perhaps you'll find the best of the box, the cover may well isolate the interior of the light. Partition inside I'm made of dark plastic, came to hand. It serves as a stop distance at the bottom, the top of the stopper is the box itself. Mounting plate made of spokes with curved ends. Height fitted with several layers of mouse pad. Rubber side he is up, that does not allow the plate to slide inside.

Now fasten the straps. I advise you to do mount a T-shaped, as a helmet with a tablet inside will weigh all the decency and the weight will crush your nose. Testing! Subject is not complaining. That's good!

4. Setting GameStream

This technology allows you to stream the image on the tablet with a very good quality and with virtually no delay. For her work need a video card Nvidia GTX 650 and older. This technology was developed for the console Nvidia Shield, but with the help of Limelight application can use almost any tablet or phone. So, we install the latest drivers and put the check on the GeForce Experience. We run the application, add the needed applications and include GameStream settings. On the tablet launch Limelight and add a computer by IP address. Choosing to Limelight Stream and quality test. I must say, on the old router 802.11n standard 150Mb refused to work normally broadcast-quality 720p that has pushed me to the long overdue purchasing a new device. It was bought by the router to 300MB, and after installing it earned broadcast at 1080p 60fps.

5. FreePIE

FreePIE is very buggy and unpredictable software, but after a few hours of the war with him, was written a little script and found most of the pitfalls. The points. 1. Be sure to install the apk tablet bundled distribution. Online versions of many applications for Android supports FreePIE, but none of them I did not work properly. 2. After you run the script and running within FreePIE Vireio Perception in any case, do not put the focus on the window FreePIE, otherwise it will certainly hang. 3. On the tablet does not include the mode Debug, while trying to minimize the application in this mode, it is sure to hang. In normal mode, the application works fine in background.

The script that I used. To start tracking you need to press the «Z».

def update ():
global yaw
global roll
global pitch
yaw = android [0] .googleYaw + math.pi
roll = android [0] .googleRoll
pitch = android [0] .googlePitch

if starting:
yaw = 0
roll = 0
pitch = 0
enabled = False
android [0] .update + = update

deltaYaw = filters.delta (yaw)
deltaPitch = filters.delta (pitch)
deltaRoll = filters.delta (roll)

if math.fabs (deltaYaw) & gt; = math.pi:
deltaYaw = 0

if (enabled):
mouse.deltaX = deltaYaw * 1280
mouse.deltaY = deltaRoll * 900

toggle = keyboard.getPressed (Key.Z)

if toggle:
enabled = not enabled

We test if the mouse obey, take the last point.

6. Vireio Perception

Vireio Perception is not a more stable set of drivers than FreePIE, but works pretty well.

Start and select «RiftUP!», This allows the driver to adjust the position of images on axes X \\ Y, set it Scaling, and most importantly to shift the center of it. Menu during the game caused by a combination of keys Ctrl + Q, but highly recommend you read the manual that comes bundled with the software.

7. Play!

After setting, you can start playing. Personally, I normally have started Mirror \ 's Edge and Portal 2. And here Left 4 Dead 2 hang during startup. The rest have not yet tried. All the above start on Windows 8.1 64bit. The stability of the software in general leaves much to be desired, especially after contact with Oculus Rift.

Oculus Rift I tested and I can say that the resulting quality is not much worse than the original, but the lack of interoperability and the persistent problems with drivers forced to consider getting the device only as a means of at least a little to join the VR era and look forward to the output Oculus Rift and Project Morpheus market .
A small video with a demonstration of the device. Anticipating your question about the tilt plate, say, inserted because of the rush, during the game moves to the stop inside.

Hence

Tags

See also

New and interesting