How to create "The Bremen Town Musicians"

The musical fantasy on the theme of the Brothers Grimm fairy tale of the same name, very popular in the Soviet Union, not least thanks to the music, written by Gennady Gladkov with elements of rock and roll.
Director: Inessa Kovalevskaya
Writers: Vasily Livanov, Yuri Entin
Operator: Elena Petrova
Composer: Gennady Gladkov
Artist: Max Zherebchevsky
Production: Soyuzmultfilm
Year: 1969
Premiere: April 1969
Roles sounded: Oleg Anofriev

More than 40 years ago on the screens of the great and mighty Soviet Union came out absolutely unusual for the time cartoon - "The Bremen Town Musicians". This cartoon so impressed the audience that later, with the light hand of the musician Rostislav Boiko, he received the title of "marijuana to children».
But as we have with you now understand, bold story of four musicians a la "The Beatles", which led by their leader - troubadour traveled throughout the kingdom, was a "breath of freedom" not so much for children as for Soviet adults.
According to the poet Yuri Entin, who wrote poems to all the songs sounded in "The Bremen Town Musicians," the idea to create this "cartoon-musical" came the creators suddenly and spontaneously: "In the courtyard stood the 1960s, foreign world ruled by hippies, even We hovered some unreal scent of freedom.

And we were very young, and we desperately wanted to do something razedakoe. "And today, after almost half a century since the advent of the cartoon, we can safely say that the creative" impulse of the soul "was a success at 100%.
First scenario cartoon grisly
Directed cartoon, Inessa Kovalevskaya said: "When I read the script of the four beasts that roam the world, meet the robbers, frighten them, and then take up residence in their house, I was horrified.
But such delusions are not yet filmed, and the cartoon was supposed to make an unusual - in the form of a musical. So I decided to - dare! Only a modicum will alter ... "To fundamentally remaking a hand Vasily Livanov as scriptwriter. It was he who proposed that the artistic director of amateur "animal" ensemble - a man - Troubadour.

A composer Gennady Gladkov suddenly dawned on me: "The tale must be love!" So there was a cartoon princess. Well, what about Princess but without the King and his retinue Guard? So gradually born and all the characters of the story. When the finished script shown leadership "Soyuzmultfilm", nothing out of the ordinary it is not noticed and the cartoon went to work.

How to Draw Troubadour
The draft of all the characters of the cartoon look more than decent. Princess in the lush lace Troubadour in fool's cap, ornate palace chamber. But soon in the air while the "spirit of the hippies' has done his job, and image of the main characters have undergone significant changes. Kovalevskaya recalls: "In some foreign journals, I saw the blond hairdo by" The Beatles "and flared jeans.
And there - the girl in the red dress ultrashort. They are so shocked my imagination that in a few days I was almost an ultimatum our artist said: "This is what should be the Troubadour and the Princess!" Fortunately, he joyfully supported me. " Interestingly, the Princess has its own, very real prototype.
She drew a spouse Yuri Entin. As the poet says: "That is the red dress that you see in the movie, I bought her for forty rubles, there she was at the wedding. And the smooth and Lebanon were our witnesses. " Animators have long puzzled over the images of the robbers. Well, in any way they could not pick up decent characters.

Robbers drawing and oblique, and the lame and one-eyed and red - it's not that. But once the studio has got a calendar with a picture of the famous film of the Trinity: Vitsin, Morgunov and Nikulin. From the moment "fate" of thieves has been resolved.

Why Anofriev?
Voice Troubadour on plans creators of the cartoon was to be Oleg Anofriev. Articulate Princess offered a popular soloist while the quartet "Accord" - Zoe Kharabadze and sing for atamansha - Zinovy ​​Gerdt. But at the appointed time in the recording studio he appeared only Oleg Anofriev and that, in order to alert the operator that he is ill and can not be recorded.
Much later, in the studio Zinovy ​​Gerdt phoned and asked to postpone the recording, as today, he will not be able to work. And Zoe Kharabadze generally refused to participate in the work on the cartoon, do not consider it necessary even to give any explanation. The director could not bear cartoon dubbing, deadlines are already "burned" and Kovalevskaya with difficulty persuaded to sing a Anofrieva.
The singer said: "I first posoprotivlyatsya, but me and myself suddenly wondering: Will I be able to voice one of the characters. We have tried, and so I got a taste of what I wanted to sing, even for a princess! Sorry, the authors have not given: they prove to be a quick agreement with the familiar singer Elmira Zherzdevoy.
We worked all night. And when in the morning I measured the temperature, the thermometer showed 36, 6. Here it is, the great power of art! »

"The Bremen Town Musicians" to blame for the collapse of the country?
Cartoon with a pronounced "hippie" storyline is surprisingly easily passed strict censorship "Soyuzmultfilm". But then we began complexity. "How can children show cartoons in which they sing:" We - the robbers, thieves, robbers. Bang-bang - and you are dead, dead, dead! "- Outraged viewers older generation.
Some directors have even argued that the "Bremen Town Musicians" adversely affect the Soviet youth, and even (!) Bring the collapse of the country. And, as you might expect, the creative team, "Bremen Town Musicians" accused of promoting "the corrupting influence of the West" officially, and cartoon, despite its popularity, has not received any awards.
A director Inessa Kovalevskaya because of "terrible visuals and vivid manifestation of unprofessionalism" is not even admitted to the Union of Cinematographers. Yuri Entin says: "Stones in our garden threw all and sundry. I remember, we are very sensitive to criticism. But the years passed - and now I recall the time of our youth and rebellion crazy with tenderness ».

"We palaces attractive arches» ...
Oleg Anofriev also suffered from the rebellious spirit of the "Bremen Town Musicians". The fact that soon after the cartoon, he was invited to the Kremlin Palace of Congresses, to perform in a big concert of the government. The songs from the cartoon were not included in the concert repertoire.
But then, entering the image Anofriev, pointing to the government stands, from the stage sang: "We palaces enticing vaults had not replace freedom!". Officials were offended. As a result, the next few years Oleg Anofriev never recorded or played. The anger of those in power was very strong. Singer even banned from voicing continued cartoon "In the wake of Bremen Town Musicians". In the second part of the Troubadour and the other characters have already voiced Muslim Magomayev.

Tags

See also

New and interesting