A homeless ex-boxer built himself a "home" at the dump

Albany Balbi - an artificial peninsula in a small area of ​​California, who previously served as a dumping ground for construction waste. One journalism student decided to walk on this place, but he did not even could not imagine that someone would want to live in such a place, and even more so - to build itself there own home from improvised rubbish.

Even on the peninsula, which literally consists of improvised shelters and temporary housing dilapidated, structure Anderson - half house, half art object - immediately catches the eye. Intrigued with Anderson Boyer spent a week photographing the three-story "mansion" that the inside was even more striking than the outside, and its owner.

"Pallet could stand there next to the mirror, which stood next to a piece of plywood next to the mandolin, which he plugged the gap in the wall. It was a very interesting collection of objects - says the journalist. - It is constantly changing. Every time I came back, everything looked completely different. One time I went for a walk, and while I did not have, he set sail on the roof of windsurfing. "

Anderson Boyer said that until 2011 he lived with his mother in Berkeley. When she died, he found himself on the street. Before that, he was a professional boxer, lived and performed in Las Vegas. "He still did not miss daily training. He said that they bring thoughts in order, "- says Boyer.

Last year, the City Council voted in favor of the demolition of Albany settlements Balbi, as the area of ​​development plan will become part of the city park. With the help of local authorities, some of the settlers find housing outside Balbi. Others, including Anderson, trying to contest the eviction in court.

This spring, the city inspector ruled that Anderson's home does not meet the safety requirements, and on March 19 it was demolished. "Illegal construction violated several local laws and constitutes a threat to public safety and health, - commented the official Nicole Almaguer. - Violations were so serious that the housing is not repairable, moreover, such a building on the territory of the coastal public park Albany Balbi is against the law.

Boyer said that Anderson is now living with his girlfriend in a tent near the spot where once stood his house. While his fate is still unclear, the ex-boxer is not going to leave Balbi.

"Despite the fact that formally they are homeless, they do not feel vagrants living in the camp. This is really a unique place. I think it is worth paying special attention in the context of the housing shortage, rising property prices and growing income inequality. This is one of the last places where homeless people can feel as though something self-sufficient and in relative safety, "- explains his position a photographer.

Albany Balbi - not only the improvised settlement of persons without a certain residence in sunny California.

Source: www.kulturologia.ru

Tags

See also

New and interesting