What is curling

Curling appeared in Russia recently, despite the fact that he already appeared at the beginning of the sixteenth century in Scotland. Not many people know that curling for more than ten years, is an official sport at the Winter Olympics. I always wanted to try to play this seemingly incomprehensible and funny game. In fact, it turned out that curling is very excitable, exciting and challenging sport. Let's look at it closer.

via gavalier

2. Thus, the curling (derived from the English. «Curl» - curl) - it is a team game on ice. The site is a rectangular playing field a little more than the length of 44 meters and a width of about 4, 5 meters, t. E., For example, in the field of ice hockey at the same time you can play for 3-4 "tracks».

The rules really are not that complicated. I'll try to describe very briefly. Two competing teams of four players each. Kёrlery 8 alternately throw stones at each of the ten periods (or endov). At the other end of the field is the so-called "home" or zachetny circle with a diameter a little more than three and a half meters. The main purpose: in each period to arrange "their" stones as close as possible to the center of the "house." Of course, you can (and should) beat out rival stones. In addition, teammates are allowed to rub (svipovat) ice with special brushes, thereby controlling the speed and direction of the stones.

3. To be honest, I always thought that these brushes do not give a special effect, but it turned out that the more they give. The water formed after a few sudden movements on the ice. When you run through every forty meters next to a stone, rubbing the ice with a brush, you will realize that the curling - it's not chess, will have to sweat.

4. Incidentally, the ice cover that is interesting, is not smooth. Before the game it is "sprayed" with water to form ice droplets, and by which slide stones. Stones themselves, and they weigh almost 20 kg, made of granite.

5. Bottom stone has an annular surface (as in plates) so that it slides on the floor and. It looks like a stone old model.

6. Each player has his own style and technique of the throw. Technology, by the way, is not even regulated. The success of the game depends precisely on the right throws and skill kёrlerov. Learn to push the stones to balance and focus on the court we learned about two hours. Another thing - to push the stones on the right path to be able to reach the "home" and tighten. I once happened to throw a stone in the scoring areas, which, by the way, you do not see at a distance of more than forty meters. Tagged you to help your partner, which is directly next to the "house" or stumbling opponent.

7. To win here can practically everyone: it happens that the Cubs beat the most renowned players. Anyway, curling - a game for all ages!

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting