Hazardous work in a landfill as "Mine"

In Guatemala, a place called "Mine" can be a means of survival and cause of death. Every day, dozens of residents scour the huge dump for scrap metal. Being exposed to landslides, destruction and disease, these people can earn almost twice the minimum wage.

25 Photo © Rodrigo Abd / Associated Press

1. Man hiding from the rain on the mountain of debris at the bottom of one of the largest landfills in Guatemala, known as "Mine." Hundreds of illegal workers every day down to the dump and dirty waters from a nearby sewage in search of scrap metal. In these places, it is called "development". This is a very dangerous task due to landslides and destruction, but "metallodobytchiki" can earn up to 20 dollars a day, which is almost twice the normal wage.

2. The window that serves as the entrance to the "Mine" - one of the largest landfills in Guatemala.

3. The ravine on the edge of one of the largest landfills in Guatemala.

4. David Flores is looking for scrap metal in the muddy waters at the bottom of the landfill

5. A resident of the magnet used in the search

6. A woman on the background of the landfill, where hundreds of illegal workers searching for scrap metal

7. Miguel with those found in the wastewater metal.

8. Dirty shoes hang on the wall at the bottom of the landfill.

9. The vultures of people looking for scrap metal to the dump in Guatemala.

10. 29-year-old Irma (right) and 30-year-old Dora with bags of metal after a night of "change" in a landfill.

11. Julio (second from left) shows off his findings today

12. The bag of metal found in a landfill

13. A boy named Pallet looking metal muddy wastewater

14. At the dump, you can find it - a gold pendant

15. Men in search of scrap metal.

16. Balance and book buyer at the top of the metal dump

17. 67-year-old Thomas Perez Hernandez is preparing to carry a bag of metal that he found at the bottom of the largest landfills in Guatemala

18. Return to top after a day "catch»

19. A boy named Wilmer Gilberto helps weigh the metal.

20. Men are sorted metal found in a landfill.

21. Young people have a rest after working at the dump.

22. 15-year-old Balukuita looking for scrap metal in the muddy waters near the mountain of garbage

23. This guy was lucky - he found a gold ring

24. Illegal workers in search of metal

25. A man found a bag of metal after a day spent at the bottom of the largest landfills in Guatemala

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting