The most impressive career World

The creation of artificial islands, or the destruction of natural mountains, people are constantly changing face of the planet. And miners perfectly cope with this task of changing all the big space landscape. Some pits pitted crushers in an attempt to extract the ore, it is a miracle of technology, and the largest of them can be seen from outer space via

Some of these amazing examples of human ability to subjugate nature created in the form of open-pit mines. This method of production is used where resources lie too close to the surface, and the composition of the soil does not allow tunneling. Through the efforts of the miners career grow until the exhaustion of resources. After a career depleted they become landfill or artificial lake, but despite this, they continue to amaze imagination with its scale. We invite you to see the best of the huge quarries in the world.

Diamond pipe "Mir»
Owner: Alrosa
Resources: diamonds
Development started in 1957

Currently it is the second largest man-made crater in the world. This diamond mine is located on the territory of Russia, near the town of Mirny. "World" is so huge that no-fly over it, because mine workings create a very strong downdraft. Quarry, the development of which began in 1957, until its closure in 2011 to produce up to 10 million carats of diamonds per year. "Peace" was notorious for its appalling conditions. In winter the temperature drops in the quarry so that freezes the engine oil and rubber, and leads to a gradual career crumble. By the time of mine closure while lifting the vehicle from the bottom of the quarry to the surface reached 2 hours.

Diamond tube "Dyavik»
owner: Rio Tinto (60%), Harry Winston Diamond Corporation (40%)
Development started in 2003

Diamond tube "Dyavik" is located in Canada and no less impressive than the "World" despite the fact that it is substantially smaller than its Russian counterpart. "Dyavik" produces 8 million carats of diamonds a year, and the development of the mine began in 2003. Most remarkable it is that is located on the island of Lac de Gras, which allows you to watch amazing metamorphosis: the summer quarry surrounded by crystal surface of the water, and in winter ice-shrouded desert. On "Dyavik" is a winter road - a seasonal road only available two months of the year, it is stretched over the surface of the frozen lake 375 km north Yelounayf. All the rest of the time to get into the "Dyavik" only by air.

Bingham Canyon
Owner: Rio Tinto
Resources: copper
Development started in 1904

Visible from space and also known as the Kennecott copper mine Bingham Canyon is the deepest cut in the world. The pioneers of the mine were Mormons - detect it in the middle of the 19th century, at the time the field reached the 1, 2 km deep and 2, 5 miles wide and covers an area of ​​7, 7 km 2. Surprisingly, despite the fact that the quarry is developed since 1904, production at the field suggest lead up to 2030.

Kalgori Super Pit
Owner: Kalgoorlie Consolidated Gold Mines
Resources: Gold
Development started in 1989.

Goldmine "Femiston Open Pit" is the largest gold vein in the world, it is usually called the "Super Pit". Cut oblong shape located in the west of Australia, reaches a length of 3.5 km, width - 1, 5 km, and descends into the depths of more than 320 meters. "Super Pit" produces more than 850 thous. Ounces of gold per year.

Quarry Hal-Rust-Mahoning
Owner: Hibbing Taconite
Resources: Iron ore
Development started in 1893

Quarry Mahoning started to develop as the underground workings, but iron ore were too close to the surface and the development had to conduct open pit. Who careers Mahoning up to 8 km in length, 3, 2 km wide and 180 meters deep. During the development of the field, it was decided to combine several smaller openings in one large pit. For such a "merger" was needed to move the city of Hibbing, located in close proximity to the quarries. Transferring the city took 2 years and $ 16 million, for the time was moved nearly 200 houses and 20 office buildings. At the peak of production, Mezhuyev the First and Second World War section of Production 1 \ 4 of the entire iron ore produced in the United States. Today, after almost 100 years, the company Hibbing Taconite still uses Mahoning for mining.

Toquepala caves
Owner: Southern Copper Corporation
Resources: Copper
Development started in 1960

The Andes are home for several most formidable in the world of mines. Toquepala caves reaches 700 meters in depth, width and the diameter reaches 2, 5 km. Looking at the photo made NASA satellites can see giant dumps formed the artificial mountains along the northern part of the mine.

Diamond pipe "ECAT"
Owner: BHP Billiton
Resources: Diamonds
Development started in 1998

ECAT is located 300 km from Yelounayf, and was discovered during the gold rush. After the opening of the project in 1985, the land from the Great Lakes to the Arctic Circle and resold as geological lottery tickets. Scientific discovery proved that the kimberlite pipes - a sign of diamond deposits made ECAT another Jack later in this lottery.

Quarry Kimberly
Owner: Da Beers
Development started in 1871

Name - a giant hole - that's what gives actually gives imagination roam. The incision depth of 240 meters, is the largest production in the world where mining was carried out manually. The field originally belonged to the brothers Yeah Beer led to the struggle for a patent license with Hal-Rust-Mahoning.
After 16 years of excavation in extremely harsh environments little career located in the region came to the decision on the establishment of a conglomerate, and the unification of all developments in the company of Da Beers Consolidated Mines Limited. Pozabroshennom idle for more than 100 years, the mine has been converted into a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting