Housing with oil cooling components

6 pics + 2 video

It has long wanted to build something like that, but there was no reason.
Recently I began experimenting with mining on different graphics cards in different buildings. He came to the conclusion that the least high-level map bask without housing.
But when you install multiple cards 7950/7970 level is necessary to fence on top of the fans - the design shaky, noisy and takes up a lot of space.

Tried Server Chassis - 1U and 4U. Noisy so that glohnesh and cooling is not very effective - a pair of card-level FirePro V9800 and S10000 overheat at standard frequencies after 10 minutes. Upon reaching 100 degrees station crashed. Yes, and work on these temperatures are not safe. To achieve stability in such circumstances had to reduce the burden on the quarter that the noise and the heat does not diminish, and efficiency - on the contrary. About the noise, I thought - equipment stood in the server, but the temperature conditions hardly began, despite the air conditioning and cooler running at full capacity.

The idea was to gather at the base of the tank system unit and provide uniform heat internal components by filling the tank with oil.
He started with an aquarium - brought to work a 30-gallon tank, with the expectation that was small and komplektuha together. The case took the easiest Midi-tower, he drilled all rivets and disassembled frame - left only place in the motherboard and the entire back cover.
The rest komplektuhu collected from the world on a string - all still in working DEPO Computers. Though colleagues and skeptical of my undertaking, but still sacrificed iron "for slaughter", apparently for fun.

So gather up a complete set of components - the motherboard with the processor installed without problems. With the power supply had to tinker - at regular fixtures does not get into the aquarium had to disassemble and to tie closer to matplate on the screws. After half an hour of work locksmith scissor platform accommodates aquarium. The cooler on the processor took prettier - backlit, though no one could do it, because It was the weak processor and heat above 30 degrees could not physically. FirePro V9800 graphics card had to disassemble, but not completely - removed only housing, and the heat sink and fan left.

As the drive chose SATA DOM 8GB (for which he later paid). Well, sort of all - can be poured (axis) and fill (oil). On OSes have problems, because all distributions of the Win 7 and Win 8 did not want to put on DOM-module. They demanded no less than 8GB of disk space on my disk and was only 7, 5 Giga usable volume. I stopped on XP. It was Friday night, so that the system configuration has decided to leave for later. Pick up all the home, on the road bought 25 liters of refined sunflower oil - the budget version turned out.
At home all put together, I modified the tank lid - add a button reset, power, display drive and USB-ports. We had to check out mining on dry ..... but itching to fill all the oil as quickly as possible.

another angle

And filled.

Then just found out that a miner can not see the graphics card under XP. I had to remove the structure from the oil and hem HDD (thanks son - helped). Despite the fact that all the connectors are in oil (and the power and SATA) disk determined without problems and Win 8 became 10 minutes.
I decided to test the overclocked mode - set the frequency of the video at the maximum operating limit - 1000 MHz (with 850 staff). Performance of mining increased by 20%, temperature 66 degrees crept up. I spotted the time.

After an hour of work at the limits of the graphics card heated up to 79 degrees (with air cooling temperature would have gone a hundred after 10 minutes of work). And it's in complete silence! The oil in the tank warmed an average of 53-58 degrees.

I considered this a bad sign, and concluded that the passive cooling system is imperfect. We must try to somehow cool the oil. But that's another story when I get - I do not know, it is necessary to get the pump to the radiator.

The only conclusion that I did - this is the most efficient, quiet and, along with it, a budget solution of cooling systems with heat in excess of 500 watts. Aquarium cost me two thousand rubles, the oil in a thousand. At the pump and radiator with a silent fan leaves, perhaps as much again. But, in addition to the efficiency of the whole, I've got an unusual exhibit, which you can decorate your desktop.

For giving komplektuhu want to thank colleagues, Anton L., Andrew G., B. Volodya, well, Alyosha G.

Addition after reading comments:
I tried to raise the budget testbed to test the technology. Sunflower oil is selected on the basis of the budget. Now that everything is working, you can use a more appropriate oil.

© Habra

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting