Birthday Mastdayki

Habr
Eighteen years ago, on 24 August 1995 came the official release of Windows 95. In this regard, we confuse with the user maksimiks and produced large, full of nostalgia post dedicated to the birthday girl (I prefer to think that Windows 95 female because of her capriciousness, waywardness , warmth, comfort and love of jewelry).

30 photos

More photos - then

Of course, to say something absolutely unknown on this system is virtually impossible. Although ...
For example, can you say with any maximum amount of memory will be able to make of Windows 95? 128Mb? No! 512Mb? No! 1024Mb? Again, no!

Despite the fact that Win95 does not have to support more than 512Mb, it will be up and running at high volumes.

I managed to run it in a virtual machine with 944 megabytes of RAM, and it's amazing. Win95 uses memory page addressing, and directory pages for saving, can address only the most 512Mb.
More surprising is that already at 945 MB Windows refuses to run. The reason I could not understand - if you have some options - offer commentary.

UPD: the most likely option for this behavior is described here.

It is respected public that the project was originally set to be released in Chicago after 94 years, and name Windows 94? Moreover - there was a preview build "Chicago" is called Windows 94; I personally hold this disc in his hands, and even produced with a unit. Oh, then I would know that a couple of decades, this disc will be a wild rarity - would not have lost it, I would now boasted with all proof ...
However, we have something to show and tell, and without it. The original packaging of Windows 95, which we, in honor of the Patron Saint, staged a photo shoot

Please note on the box is written «Upgrade». This means that in our hands version of Windows 95, which could not be installed separately, and ask only top Windows 3.x. Yet, in addition to the installer, that Windows is no different from the usual.

Now turn to the modern-enikeyschiki nyufagam, spoiled convenient installer, available internet and total unification of the interfaces, the attending problems reinstalling Windows from the assembly made illiterate illiterate fool boobs! How many of you saw not floppy icon Total Commander? You see, making a spell «mode con codepage»? Try, take the distribution of one of the most popular in its time operating systems and install, even under Dev (not many there will iron, which can stand on Win95).
It did not work? Well, then see how the ancient geeks doing exhausting but interesting process called installation mastdayki!

You insert the disc into the drive with mastdaykoy (if you, of course, the disc - was an option, and on diskettes), put in the BIOS to boot from the optical ... and that "Operating system not found»?
Boot from the disk - a luxury that was not in the 95 windsurfing. Even disks with Windows 98, if my memory serves me, too, were not bootable. Be sure to have to boot into DOS, and from there to run the setup.exe. Of course, you are not faced with this problem, if put Windu with diskettes - but the installation from floppy was a problem in itself.
However, if it is, no one does not cause problems - every computer owner necessarily had one or two boot floppy with DOS, usually with support enabled mouse, CD (yes, even sidyuk needed firewood), and a set of software, sufficient for preparation computer to install the OS. Yes, if the operating system installer only engaged in the installation, the user everything else he did.
So, you have found a floppy disk, or what is now urgent - resuscitation CD with DOS. Launched setup.exe, and saw a welcome window installer.

Chik-chik-chik - the operating system does not find a disk. Well, that's right, because you probably forgot to prepare the system partition. Remember the magic and omnipotent utility FDISK - of course, back to the first overload DOS.
By the way, you do know that Win9x not support NTFS? That's good, format your virtual disk to a FAT vosmigigovy and restart the installer.
What she does not find the drive again? Again, that's right - because you have formatted the drive in FAT32? Support for such a luxury only appeared in OSR2, and here please - serve FAT16, with a limit of 2 GB partition (if you're a major, that you have a larger disk - fuck with the partition it into a corresponding number of partitions). By the way, FAT16 certainly relieve you of the following problems - the boot partition should be located in the first 1024 cylinders of the disk, or already installed Windows could not boot.
True, if you are installing the Upgrade-Win 95 version, as we do, with these problems you do not encounter - in fact you are likely to have already installed Windows 3.1, and therefore the file system is the necessary standard. But if you try to put this version of "outright", you will see here is the message:

Thus, the attempt number three: start the setup wizard.

If I took the time to read the license agreement for Windows, you would never have had time to write about it in the Habr.

Three simple steps - and I must say they are really simple, if you set this Windu in the forty-second times. Yes, do not try to close any of the dialog boxes by pressing Escape - installation without issues and warnings will be completed, and will throw you back to DOS.

Have you ever thought why the picture shows the scattered floppy disks, notes and a CD, and the computer has no keyboard, and it is not even connected to the power supply?

Installation options? Only Custom - it's tough for users and system administrators of this! The only pity is that in fact this option is given to choose only some retrofitting of additional software on the next step of the installation. Now we are asked to introduce themselves and enter the registration key.

The installer always thought that is put on the car, owned by Microsoft - and was, in general, not so far from the truth, because Microsoft then dominated the vast majority of machines. But you can enter your data, and even in Russian - if you put a localized version, and remember that in the installer language switched on Shift + Shift.

Protection Win9x was purely nominal, by key. After the second ten units this key to memorize; Fortunately, we have absolutely licensing box key is in her.

Installer, just in case, let's choose the checkmarks devices, which, in theory, could be you and those whom you have exactly no. Then he honestly tried to find the marked device, but it turned out he is less likely than not to succeed.

The progress bar while it crawled, then froze for a long time, then again crept - and warning that «This may take a several minutes» was written for a reason. It is, in fact, the most dangerous section of the installation - if the installer sboil in this place, nothing good is not finished.

But, praise the Flying Spaghetti Monster, we all went well, and now we can set everything elegant software that comes in the supply of Windows 95. Here and network services, and all the tools ... I used to long pondered, I put the or any other program from this time or not - why should I say, the whole five megabytes to give Exchange, if then I did not even know what it is?

Regardless of whether you have at least some network equipment, the installer prompts you to configure the network. In this way, TCP / IP support in the original Windows 95 was turned off, but you can set the protocol separately (as if it was already installed in Win 3.1 - and everything worked well).

And, of course, you are invited to specify the data to identify the network, and the installer again assumed that you are in a working group at Microsoft.

At the completion of the first step of the installation the installer shows a summary of all the settings and given one last chance to change anything.

Yet it is at this crucial moment installer suddenly remembered that you may need a boot diskette, in case you installed Windows refuses to boot. What a touching concern.

After that, the screen turning back was not there.

Jump: wait, simultaneously enjoying the newest and coolest advertising OSes. The progress bar at this time could freeze for a long time - and only on the hard drive wheezing can be understood whether to continue copying, or is hung. ... Reboot and ...

What? What? Why?

Here, to be honest, I was puzzled. I have installed all sorts mastday countless times to as countless configurations, including - and on the virtual machine, but the first time I saw such a message. Here is the second riddle, try to guess what the cause without looking at Google, or under the spoiler.

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting