"Moskvich" is on the rise - under the hood 4.0 V6!

Even as a boy, enjoying an old neighbor "Moskvich", Alexander Kuleshov was determined that he will ever be the same, too. For many children's dreams and remain dreams, but not for the hero of this article - years later he built a car from my childhood. But the question is with the engine, he decided to radically placed under the hood of an old man ... powerful 4-liter engine from the SUV Ford Explorer.

23 photo and the text under the cut

I met his wife Victoria and Alexander Kuleshov, for which the "Moskvich-403" is not just a car, and one of the symbols of their families: the first exit of the car into the city after reconstruction coincided with the day of their wedding.

- I do not know what other suitors to his last day of bachelorhood, but my bachelor party was held in the garage, - says Alexander. - Final assembly of the car with friends lasted until three in the morning. Not enough sleep, tired, but still went to their wedding on it. All were ecstatic!

Passion for cars MZMA was the reason for our acquaintance - I myself am the owner of this car. Passion for retro I am also very close, very clear. Before we proceed to the destruction of tire machine hero of this article, it is necessary to tell a little about these cars.

"Muscovites" 402 th, 407 th and 403rd models were produced in 1956-1965. at the Moscow plant of small cars. All were made about half a million of these machines.

"Moskvich-402" was weak and outdated nizhneklapannym engine cylinder capacity of 1, 22 liters and 35 hp - Its construction dates back to the mid-30s. "Moskvich-407" differs from its predecessor the new overhead valve engine. This model went into production in May of 1958. The new engine displacement of 1358 cc. cm and a capacity of 45 hp accelerates to 115 km / h.

403rd model "Moskvich" appeared in December 1962. The engine remains the same, the interior and exterior received minor changes, and chassis has undergone some processing. "Moskvich-403" and "Moskvich-407" in the Soviet Union is a fairly dynamic machines in those days. They participated in the rally, ring and hippodrome races.

However, 45 hp for the XXI century is very small. Therefore, Alexander decided to prove that old and clumsy "Moskvich" can also ride, and go very quickly. The interior and exterior have remained virtually the same, but the "stuffing" was very interesting: suspension of BMW E30, powerful six-cylinder engine plus a manual transmission from Ford Scorpio. There are also power steering and disc brakes on all wheels. All this together makes the "Moskvich-403" in the space rocket.

- The city always "cling" to the traffic lights at the youths psevdogonochnyh foreign cars - racing want. Naive, they have no chance - even a BMW X5 left behind! The reaction from the losers is different: someone smiles, someone very upset ... At high speed the car, by the way, is very stable. But I have been practicing this very often, I do not like this.

Under the hood of an old man hides a 160-hp engine. Given the small weight - 1100 kg - the car really was very dynamic. Knowing about, to put it mildly, is not enough space in the engine compartment, it is difficult to believe that there could be put a huge engine. After Ford 4.0 was placed on the rather big Ford Explorer and Ford Mustang. Alexander had to work hard to accommodate all the necessary units there - they attach millimeter per millimeter.

And it was worth it: you just listen to the sound of the engine! Body to the beat movement pedal "gas" tilts to the side. Craving a hurricane, the driver and passengers in the presses seatbacks. Still, after the torque is 310 Nm! Up to 100 km / h "Moskvich" dispersed around 6-7 seconds. On the ground in the Limes during dragreysinga few risk to compete with Alexander.

Apparently, the car of our hero - the fastest "Moskvich" on the earth at the site managed to develop a dizzying 220 km / h!

It all began in September 2008, when it was bought by the body from the "Moskvich-403". Then he stood in Borisov, buried in the ground and covered with moss. A little more - and would have ended the story of this machine in a landfill, but Alexander arrived on time.

- Body seem at first glance not very rusty, which determined his fate, - says the owner. - I bought it without the engine compartment and heap all sorts of rare and very relevant detail. Just to create a machine took more than three years. There were difficulties in everything: no detail just not "getting" everything was altered. An electrician was a lot of fuss. Body amplified - welding were many.
Our hero had too many choices engine capacity of 1, 6 to 2, 9 l. But almost three-liter engine was not enough:

- In the end, was purchased this six-cylinder 4.0. Body completely "sandblasting". All attachments body except the rear wings, new. Collected details for all countries of the former Soviet Union. Of course, finding spare parts today is very difficult. In total, about 13,000 car invested dollars. Russians me offered me 20,000 for it, but the forces invested so much that can not convey. How can I sell this?

Those who never turned the nut in the garage, can not understand. After all, it happens that the original item to be difficult, but here the car was built from the ground up, from parts ideologically incompatible with each other. Alexander and he did it all by myself.

- I can not say that the machine today in perfect condition, because it goes every day for these two seasons, I drove about 60,000 miles, - says the owner. - In winter, of course, put in the garage, and in the summer it enough: a lot of trips to work, often traveling with his wife. But the hood this summer I opened only for an oil change, and just to show the engine. Nevertheless deficiencies accumulated today is the last exit of the machine - put in a garage for the next reconstruction.

Last year, he was able to perfectly adjust the 4-liter engine: the now is not heated, fuel consumption as needed - 10 l / 100 km in the city provided a leisurely drive. But loomed on the horizon ... V-shaped "eight" 4.6 with automatic transmission:

- My second car - Ford Taunus. He is now under construction, just recently picked up his new motor. As a result, found a friend's 4.6 V8. Just for fun measured the dimensions of the engine compartment of the "Moskvich" - the motor comes back! With a few changes, but you can set this whopper. As a result, Taunus will do in the stock, and already on the "Moskvich" will come off. And what will be: in the motor torque of 370 Newton meters, power - 220 horsepower! Also this winter 403rd plans to completely repaint, make even more close to the original interior and exterior. After that, as a vehicle for everyday use is not going to - sorry for such a machine.

The decor of the exterior and interior there are some elements of the "Moskvich-407", but according to our hero, for him the main thing - to leave the charm of the 60s:

- The car is being constantly improved. Gradually make its appearance more close to the original view. For example, the alloy wheels will give way to the "native" steel with full wheel covers, track will be reduced.

Most surprised when such machines run girl. Their impressions of driving "Moskvich" shared Victoria Kuleshov:

- I drive carefully, very afraid of this car hit, scratch, knowing how much effort put into it husband. Ride on the "Moskvich" is very easy, although at the slightest pedal "gas" car just takes off from under you. With modern cars it is incorrect to compare: in the "Moskvich", of course, do not have that comfort. Nevertheless front sofa, white bone wheel, archaic, naive simplicity and the roar of the powerful motor can not be compared with anything! Will forever be remembered as a man first came to the "Moskvich" on our wedding day. Freshly painted, newly assembled, it seemed to me something unreal, especially in this day!

Unnoticed by the end of our meeting. Like it or not, there are old cars in a peculiar charm, there is a spirit of an era. And it is good that there are people in Belarus who seek to preserve the heritage of the car.

C engine cooling system had to tinker - the first time the motor is constantly boil. Warmed so that burst paint in the engine compartment, cracked rubber hoses. The problem was solved by installing the heatsink gazelles.

Button to switch low and high beam located near the pedals. Use it very convenient: no need to pull your finger on the switch on the steering column. System hands free '60s in action!

Air conditioning in the car replaced the small windows of the front door - "vents". They can be used to direct the flow of air into the cabin.

At the site of the original gear lever yet gaping hole. Alexander plans this winter to establish the AKP - the lever will return to its rightful place.

Front seat rearranged, seats are displayed. Voila - you can spend the night in the car when traveling. And under the sofa can be decomposed things. What modern passenger car can boast such a transformation of the cabin?

With empty hands of Alexander I left - a gift received two suitcases parts for my engine "Moskvich-407"! It's, you know, well worth it.

source

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting