King horror.

Belatedly!

The other day (21 September), the king of horror Stephen King turned 66 years old. He is married with a student years, he has three children, two grandchildren, he owns three houses. Pay taxes, and calls for the rest of the Americans. It's - well-known facts. But there are some not very well-known, that made Stephen King who he is - a living legend of American literature, one of the most ekraniziruemyh Writers Association of America.

14 photos and text here

Many have heard the story of the father of Stephen King mysteriously disappeared when the boy was two years old, and his brother, David, four. Just I went for cigarettes and never came back. Just as adults, the brothers learned that the father got himself another family, to whom he had four children and all the time he lived not far from their old home. By the way, David - not the brother of Stephen, adopted him two years before the birth of the writer. But the Stephen King never even mentioned.
Stephen was a sickly boy. One of the most vivid childhood memories of childhood - otitis media, which the writer was ill in the first class (five years) and the pain of piercing the ear drum, which he had to endure for three treatments. "My cry is still in my ears" - he wrote, almost fifty years after that. During one of the serious illnesses of six comic Steven decided to rewrite the continuation, just out of boredom. Since that's the beginning of his literary career.

"My cry is still in my ears" - he wrote, almost fifty years after that

3. The first reader of the King was his mother (the possibility to write their own stories told him it was she). When he brought her four own work, she paid the boy for 25 cents each. "It was my first dollar earned" - writes Stephen King. Support for mother and his faith in the ability of his son helped him later.

4. At the end of the fifties in America produced a children's magazine "Famous Monsters Filmlandii." His editor, J. Forrest. Ackerman, a literary agent, and fan fiction. This magazine was the favorite reading matter of Stephen.

5. Later, Forrest began to publish another magazine - "Astronaut," in which a boy sent his first story. The story was never printed, and Stephen King happily forgot about it. But twenty years later, the famous writer had to deal with her children's story - he signed it for ... J. Forrest. Ackerman, who kept all these years is unremarkable product.

The first issue of "Famous Monsters Filmlandii" 1958

6. In 1962, Dave and Steve King home produced a newspaper called "yellow card Dave", he was reading the whole town Durham. At first the boys did prints hectograph, and then acquired offset duplicator. A little later on this hectographed Steven published the first book, the cover of which means "work of Stephen King" - freestyle processing one of his favorite horror film "edgarposhnym" title "Pit and the Pendulum».

7. Stephen King met my wife in college. After three years of marriage they already had three children. To feed them, the writer had to work in the laundry. During this time he wrote the "night shift" and "Sometimes They Come Back" - at night and lunch breaks. Stephen King says about writing: "The work of the writer has as much in common with sweeping the floor, and as a mythical moments of insight».

"The work of the writer has as much in common with sweeping the floor, and as a mythical moments of insight»

8. breakthrough to fame was the novel "Carrie" (1974), which King first threw in the trash. Drafts found and rescued his wife, Tabitha, she forced the writer still finish the novel. By that time it was written, "Rage," "Long Walk" and the "Running Man».

9. By the way, his "Carrie" Stephen King does not like. He said he did not understand the main character, and does not believe some characters. The rights to the novel were sold to his literary agent, publisher "Signet Bucs' four hundred thousand dollars. The money helped the writer's family out of poverty.

The first edition of the novel "Carrie" 1974

10. King works can often find an analogy with his own biography. The novel "Misery" (1987), in which abnormal nurse is holding captive the writer (the film adaptation of the novel - one of the very successful adaptations of King, with inimitable Kathy Bates, who for his role in this movie won the award "Oscar" and "Golden Globe") He wrote about himself a prisoner of alcohol and drugs.

11. "Tomminokery" (1987) - novel analogy, the cry for help. Voices in the head writer, taken possession of her will and the invisible rulers of alien intelligence. King joked that already drank so much he did not remember how he wrote "Cujo" (1981) - a novel about a St. Bernard dog who caught rabies. Since the late 80s the writer did not drink a drop of alcohol.

Kathy Bates in the role of mad nurse.
One of the worst shots of the film "Misery", 1990

12. In 1999, the life of Stephen King could cut short in a car accident. Or rather, he did not get in an accident, was hit by flying at a furious pace van, driven by a not quite normal driver by the name of Brian Smith. At the time of the accident, he reached into the back seat to push your Rottweiler with meat from the refrigerator. The writer was saved, and he even returned to normal, although at first in such an optimistic outcome no one believed, especially a doctor who examined the first writer after the accident. Most interesting is that Brian Smith himself - as if descended from the pages of kingovskih character taking off into a reality to put an end to the creator.

"He later told a friend that he thought as if shot down" a small deer, "until I saw at the front seat of bloody spectacles - they frustrated with me when I was trying to get out of the way Smith»

"Doggy named Bullet. (In Smith's home has another rottweiler named Pistol). Smith turned around and tried to push his head bullets from the cooler, this time rode the crest of the way and knocked me without turning around. He later told a friend that he thought as if shot down "a small deer," until I saw at the front seat of bloody spectacles - they frustrated with me when I was trying to get out of the way Smith "- is not a quote from the novel?

13. King, who is known to be a fan of rock music has long played rhythm guitar in a rock band "Rock Bottom-Rimeynders" consisting of some writers. And the group is not just going to the garage of one of its members, but acted with concerts, had its admirers, and even brought a certain income. In addition to music, the writers discuss their literary achievements and ideas - a versatile creative union.

14. In many of King found "winks" regular readers - a man undoubtedly exist in reality, for which Stephen King wrote and wrote until now. Heroes of a single work, a passing reference in the other, bringing together the various cycles and the storylines, the unity of time and place - all these features make writing his books a single product - a lifetime a man named Stephen King.

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting