VAZ-2101: the ideal "penny"

Today our guest is the VAZ-2101, or the famous "penny"! Once it was the dream of millions of Soviet citizens are still many in awe remember this car. Let us remember we are.

24 photos

That's "penny"! The car is already 36 years old, it is time to retire, and she'd just left the shop. What's on the odometer? In total some 72,000 km! Shiny polished sides of the car color "cornflower", there is no trace of rust. Under steady tarahtenie 1, 2-liter engine touted owners: "And how much you have given for this miracle? A thousand? Excellent choice! "The owners - brothers Andrei and Sergei Yanchika - a year ago bought the" penny "in 1977 onwards

At a time when the cost of a normal vehicle only starts at $ 10,000, to buy something on the go in a good condition for $ 1,000 - a kind of fiction. But it's not just a car in good condition - it is retromobiles: VAZ-2101 today can rightly be ranked as such.

The venue for the shooting was not accidental was chosen street. Yankees Moor. Nothing better for it not to find: shabby Khrushchev, old garages at the entrance, hung laundry on the street - a definite attribute of any Soviet patio. Back to USSR!

Interestingly, this "penny" - from this same yard!

- A surprising number. The previous owner of the car lived right here, - says Andrey. - When my brother and I bought this car a year ago, then we take it out of the garage not far from here. To sell her daughter elderly owner.

- We arrived then, look: an amazing state, the bottom of the unit, even the original muffler. The run then just believe. Therefore purchased. Today, mostly she goes to her brother - and he searched the car. He goes a little car for $ 10,000 to buy did not want to, but it is necessary. I also sometimes take her to ride - fun. Right now my main machine on repainting, so a week already "Zhiguli."

Andrey told about the features and operation of the vehicle:

- Nervous people this machine does not fit. It is like a woman. She would dream not start - it will not start. To her approach is needed, it is finicky. Everything is decided by millimeters - in the morning three times a pedal to work, gently pull out the choke. I'm used to it, I know what she wants. The machine as a whole is strong, but the national assembly - it's her fault. The service life of the motor at why was small - only 200 thousand? All of the low-quality "consumables": M8 - a slurry rather than motor oil. Modern parts for these machines all the trash, the old Soviet parts much better.

- What to do with the car after purchase in a year? Change the oil, plugs, wires and ignition coil. The weak point of the decor of the body - Door sill trims. One was not there, but found the set. And in the 92nd gasoline transferred. The original engine is designed for a high-octane gasoline, rather than the 76th and 80th. This is "our" localized engine: placed between the cylinder head and cylinder block thick duralumin plate, and the top and bottom of the plate - laying. Remove unnecessary, he left a gasket - to reduce the combustion chamber. I adjusted the ignition, and for stroboscope it does not, for some reason only "by ear" is obtained. Wheels in white painted. That's all.

Because of damage - just a couple of days before our meeting, the machine stops start. The problem was solved by replacing the ignition coil.

- Gasoline is, of course, the car "drink" buckets, - continues the story about the peculiarities of operation rarity Andrew. - "Tens" stable "to eat", but if you go 70-80 kilometers per hour, somewhere 7-8 liters per "hundred" leaves. Small tank in the trunk is, it is only 39 liters fit. On this in the "Haver" stuck - at idle all gasoline "eat" and tank "lick." While the oven heats - it is healthy! At the fan oven only two modes: hot and very hot. The ride should be on it slowly, slow it.

- And you go and notice that many already look back on this "penny - continues the story of the owner. - Still would! Beautiful color, excellent condition. Many people strive to buy it from us, they say, they say, "cleaver" give. Yeah, they fled. Immediately evident: buy - would kill immediately. And this machine is for the soul. It hard to travel a lot, but at the weekend ride - better not come up.

The plans for the following year the brothers - quality repaint the whole car, upgrade corrosion protection body, find the factory rubber floor mats. And rightly so - tuning a car is not to face. Do not lost the car!

As in the XXI century is going this car? I was lucky enough to manage and legend. The engine under the hood 1, a 2 liter. This old vosmiklapannik had in the Soviet Union for its time, a very large liter capacity: some 1198 cc 64 hp issue, which is very good. However, the torque a bit in terms of the dynamics of the machine is not the light, but you can stay in the flow. On the other hand, the engine is very flexible, to muffle his inept pedaling hard. On the "lower classes" a great attraction!

Soft and measured swimming machine, clear and easy to shift gears. However, the brake pedal must be pressed from the heart to slow down. But on a long-standing tradition of Russian motor vehicle with a large clearance has armor suspension. "Bumps"? No, I did not notice.

Switching gears in this car just surprised. Short moves backstage weapon clarity. Not expected. And that's very hard to turn the wheel compared to other cars of the time: on the move is necessary to put a notable effort! But everything else is good. It turns out that in the XXI century is not so difficult to move in space in this 36-year-old car.

On the inside of the lid remained sticker, which indicates that the body is painted with synthetic enamel, and the color - "480-cornflower & quot;

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting