Car life USSR.

It was difficult to be a motorist in the Soviet Union - spare parts in short supply, unreliable cars, there is no service. We decided to remember those days: Our correspondent spoke with Sergei Ilyich Boyarsky, "aksakal" edition and once the Soviet motorist.

7 photo + two videos. Source

- What are the nuances of operation encountered motorists?

- Owning a car in the Soviet Union was not easy, not to mention the fact that it was to buy it even harder. One of the basic nuances of operation consisted of a simple lack of spare parts. Today in Minsk, a huge number of points with automotive products, while same-store sales of new parts had one - on Logojsky tract, and he was, of course, the public. It was necessary to regularly visit him: what if anything will go on sale? The deficit was everything, so I try to buy spare parts for future use. If the counter is something there, we must take, because tomorrow, when it may be needed, you did not buy. Who did not have a garage, parts stored in basements, who did not have a basement - in the attic. In Minsk, if my memory serves me, there was only one Komissionka auto parts, where, for example, used batteries are sold. Funny, yes - a used battery?

- Nokian, Hankook, winter, all season, studded - the choice of tires today, dazzled. And as in Soviet times was the case with the tires?

- In the rubber it was not just a deficit - there were limitations on the sale. When buying tires in the log - a small book with pages - stamped with the date of sale of the store. After that, as far as I remember, something about three years, the owner had the right to buy tires. Rather, they are to him in the period of the "embargo" simply would not sell. Soviet tires wear out pretty quickly if a lot of travel for a couple of years, it could wear out to zero. How to pass inspection in the "bald" tires? Therefore, new tires left for maintenance and winter, and went to the worn.

- Separation of tires for summer and winter itself was not. Bought anything - is great. In fact, all-season tires was. So, if you go to "polulysoy" winter rubber - keep the curb, in the event that on a wheels and brakes. Since the time I have left the habit of pressing the brake pedal intermittently, although that works as ABS, then I had no idea. Machine, of course, was also less, but made up for the lack of private transport taxis, public transport and trucks. The road work, but do not say that a purely qualitative than it is now. Quite the contrary.

- When you bought your first car? How are buying?

- My first car was a "hunchback" ZAZ-965 1968 model year, if memory serves. I bought it in 1986, of course, in the form of second-hand. To buy a new car, we had to wait for their turn, which stretched on for years. The car could wait until the end of his life and did not buy. Distributes machines for businesses - the first in line, of course, heads. For the rest - Komissionka.

She then was a guerrilla Avenue, across the street from the restaurant "Pine". On the platform stood near the shop and car tags. On Saturdays, there took place the car market, as it was official - now hard to say. A man sitting in the car - ask him, sells or not. Then bargain and go to the commission to issue purchase. There was prepared a paper for the sale of the car and it went to the traffic police to renew.

- In the wake of the deficit in the form of second-hand machines were more expensive, many new! I "humpbacked" cost a thousand rubles, then I sold it, too, for a thousand. Then a month earned somewhere 175 rubles, but I was young and unmarried. Once accumulated a thousand - I bought the car.

- How, then, was the case with the car service?

- With the service of the same problem - the deficit. Stations were few: on Kupriyanov and Koltsov was the service "Muscovites" Serov - "Zhiguli" at Brest - "Cossacks." Where served "Volga" I have no idea, but in private hands, it was a rarity. If someone went, so difficult people - in good positions, with ties or something else.

To get to the station is problematic, not a lot of money too, so to maintain and repair themselves. Anyway, among my friends some who went to the service station, were not. Operating instructions at the time were very detailed, not like now, the machine is easier, so much difficulty was not here. But the garage - a problem. It is now no one needs, and if it was necessary to defend the place to build it. Change brake pads, brake pump and so on - that I was doing in the yard. Yes, the automobile tool also going well for a long time - a deficit ... Since the renovation involved alone among motorists were experts who could always ask for advice. There were also craftsmen who not only did the car itself, but also helped others. "Garazhniki" in the initial stage. Prices were very different then - for a couple of bottles could agree to do what he can not.

- Were there any cases in the road?

- Cases have always been, especially if you have a "Cossack". In order for it to go away, it is advisable to keep the instruments except in the trunk, for example, gender. I kept and not lost. One day on the way it is cut. And so poorly - piece "biscuit" fell into the differential case. If not for that, I would put a new axle shaft and then went and was so frightening, that will pick up a piece of gear, and between the teeth, he would have done affairs. It was necessary to remove the engine assembly with the transmission right on the side of the road. Raised on the jack back of the machine, put it under the engine means at hand - spare tire, bricks, sticks and other trash that could be found by the road. Disconnect the power unit by unscrewing the rear crossmember, lower the machine to the ground and rolled forward two meters. Engine respectively stayed in front of me - do with it what you want. Repaired, I drove the car back to the engine, picked it up again at its level, all connected. With my brother in law was, but it is mostly only the car helped me to roll back and forth. That's the whole repair.

Overall, the deficit was around his head. Because of this car lives in the Soviet Union was based on the Marsh and acquaintances that if nostalgia for those times when you want you can call the mutual support and mutual assistance. As you like.

Tips from the Soviets, and not very useful

Finally we present to you a compilation of tips and tricks of Soviet books and magazines on the topic of vehicle operation. And although some of them are mixed with today's perspective, nevertheless, they reflect the complexity of the ownership of the vehicle while the deficit of spare parts, lack of service, unreliable technology. However, all this contributed to the development of national technical creativity - that only craftsmen of all trades do not come up! This - below.

Over time, the wiper blades on all cars start to worse to clean the glass, since rubber loses its elasticity. In order to restore the quality of cleaning glass is necessary to hold the brush a few minutes in boiling water, and then put in place, briefly steloochistitel option switches for break. You can hold the brush in gasoline, and then wash them with soap and water.

It is difficult to make the maneuver if the bulb burns out backing. It can replace the engine compartment lamp or use a flashlight tied to his rear bumper. In an extreme case, turn on the direction indicators.

In a way the wiper motor may burn out. Disconnect draft from him and secure. Take the brush to the left of the driver using the laundry gum. Tie the string to the brush - through the window the passenger will be able to clean the glass, sipping twine.

The upper trunk of a car can serve as an antenna, isolated from the trunk when the roof putting on foot mounting the thin-walled tube or polyvinylchloride wrapping foot blue electrical tape. The wire to the receiver can be skipped in the doorway, hidden under a rubber sealant.

When applying anti-corrosion mastics underbody in areas most affected by the abrasive action of sand and stones (under the wings, sills, etc.), After applying the first layer of mastic put a strip of thin fiberglass, nylon (old stockings), calico, gauze or other porous fabric and cover even one or two layers. Now, in these areas of the body abrasion practically impossible.

Choose the paint for the repair of the body is difficult, after drying, it changes color. The paint the right color, apply it on the transparent glass. On the unpainted side of the glass you see the color that will be after drying.

If the area in front of the garage unpaved, treat the surface with a mixture of water with a 20% bleach or Laszlo sulfide lye-containing resin. Watering a mixture of soil, especially in the rain, it will get rid of the dust for a few months.

When driving on muddy roads constantly clogged under the jack socket. This can be prevented by inserting a wooden nest, foam or cork champagne corks.

Cracks in the bank battery sealed with epoxy resin with sawdust from the banks obtained by stripping the seam.

The scale of the speedometer "Zhiguli" each division corresponds to 10 km / h, and three red risk - rates 37, 62 and 96 km / h. These risks indicate speed limits I, II and III programs.

Exhaust pipe rusts from the inside. Drill pipe at the bottom of the hole and insert the muffled tubule with oil. When the engine oil will evaporate and upsetting at the tube walls will create a protective film. If you put a tube in the thread each time it will be possible to pour a fresh batch of oil.

Soap does not dissolve in gasoline, so they can cover up the place leakage of gasoline, including gasoline pipe thread fitting.

As for maintenance and repair work when there is a need to remove the rear brake drum. Sometimes it is quite difficult to do. It is best to use a special device. If not, the drum can be removed as follows. Jacking the right side of the rear axle and con pads to hang it. Take off the wheel and turn inside the locking screws. Then, start the engine and transmission, giving the rotation of the rear axle to match the speed of 50-60 km / h, and inhibit wheel hand brake. When the drum is rotated and comes off easily. Using this method, you must use caution and safety - no one should be in the plane of rotation of the drum.

On the removed drum sometimes find roughness - signs of wear. They must be clean so as not to wear out the new pads. To do this, the machine is not mandatory: the drum brake surface crank out and attach it to the semi-axis flange bolts (or nuts). To start up the car and turn the drum in accordance with a speed of 10-20 km / h, a scraper or a file level the surface and cleaned it with sandpaper. You can then change the brake pads.

To protect the outside of the exhaust pipes and mufflers vehicle from corrosion and clean them from dirt and loose rust and coat with a thin layer of graphite grease. When she roasted through, details will become quite strong anticorrosive film black.

If "Moskvich-1500" between the grille and the radiator to put jar, wrapped in a damp cloth, then while running jar is cooled to + 8..12 ° C at an ambient temperature of 25 ° C. Occasionally dampen the cloth, it is possible to save even milk during the summer day.

Good luck on the roads and

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting