Diary of a volunteer, part 2. Minsk student in Sochi.

The first part here

26 photos will be.

After I had more or less settled into a life of voluntary life, I had familiarity with the ski and biathlon complex "Laura". It is at this Olympic facility, I was appointed. The complex is located at an altitude of 1300 meters above sea level, near the famous ski resort "Krasnaya Polyana", where they like to have fun together and discuss the prospects of new loans Presidents of Belarus and Russia.

Way of Coastal Cluster, where I live, to "Laura" is very neblizky. In total, it takes 2-2 5:00 and includes three transplantation. The benefit of using many routes of Olympic volunteers can transport system free of charge. In my case, is the free transport categories WF (work force) and TM (transport media). The first transports of absolutely all have accreditation for the Games and constantly overloaded. "Vorkforsy" Sturm volunteers, journalists, security guards, judges and ordinary riders without accreditation, not willing to pay for travel on public transport around the clock. As for buses on routes TM, then they are much more comfortable and spacious as the path in their showrooms open exclusively to journalists and volunteers with a "press". Which, in fact, I imagine. If the flesh, my role sounds like "assistant press" or press assistant. But more on that later.

To begin to tell about the complex itself "Laura". Gave him the name which runs nearby mountain river, whose name, in turn, is associated with a touching legend. Supposedly once lived in these places young beautiful girl named Laura, who wanted to marry a certain old Caucasian pervert against her will. In the end, she chose death life with the unloved man and despair threw herself into the raging mountain stream. It was he who perpetuate the memory of the unfortunate girl. Now on a par with the river and it makes skiing and biathlon complex, built for the Sochi Olympics.

After the volunteers and journalists get to the checkpoint "Laura" and pass the required examination, they will 12-minute (specifically timed time) journey to the funicular cable car. In the process of lifting several times lays the ears, and sometimes it is hard to breathe. But the body quickly adapts to the altitude. The higher you climb in the mountains, the lower the temperature, the more snow. In the village volunteer (and the entire coast of Sochi) no snow at all, and the weather looks like a typical Ming September. And only find themselves in the mountains, suddenly realizing that the court in February, and not summer Olympics and winter.

After exiting the cabin cable car in visitors 'Laura' has two ways. You can move the foot to the biathlon and ski run past the beautiful houses, chalets, in which there are many teams, including Belarus. Belarusians, by the way, live in the same house with Ukrainian athletes.

Walking path to the tracks and press the center is very difficult. Man, do not pay enough attention to their physical condition, hardly without problems overcome it as necessary to go up at a decent incline. Around the road there are encouraging signs with slogans that raise the morale of weary travelers.

Another option - shuttle bus that will take everyone from the funicular to the rest of the infrastructure placements. Strong differences from normal city bus no, except that no one touches your shoulder and asks to transfer money for travel. Path on the shuttle takes just three minutes, but if you hit too cocky driver, three minutes will be unforgettable. Zigzags, which prescribe some marshrutchiki on steep mountain roads, cause neither the incomparable emotions - such a mixture of horror and admiration. Ride on this attraction can be improvised as much as you want - until you start nauseated.

All volunteers on arrival at the facility must be "zachekinitsya." Chekin is a barcode scanning accreditation and registration of volunteers in the workplace. If this does not formally comply with and do not register their arrival at the facility so the volunteer will be offset absenteeism change, which is fraught with unpleasant consequences.

The room for Chekina can take a free bottle of water production of one of the official sponsors of the Olympics. Other drinks of the same sponsor issued in volunteer dining room. At the same time in neighboring stalls catering to the audience the price of these beverages reaches 80 rubles unrealistic. For comparison: in the usual grocery store a bottle of cola volume of 0, 5 liters can be bought for 40-45 rubles.

As I said, my function - press assistant. What is its essence? In the early days it was not easy to deal with this issue, because it works on the object itself was not all. We now and then was assigned to a class, not really related to our direct duties, such as running in the mixed zone of metal fencing. Immediately we began to help the press only on the opening day of the Olympics when the press center of "Laura" has already gathered a decent number of journalists. Many had to provide training schedule, events and other information. Also had the opportunity to assist in the organization of several press conferences that were held presentations ski and biathlon teams. When the first competition, many volunteers, including myself, were on duty in the mixed zone for accredited journalists and strictly followed so there is not no one entered once. Wanting to go for luxury seats for the press, with a wonderful view of the biathlon stadium and shooting range were a dime a dozen. One man even had the FSB and said that ensures the safety of the mixed zone. But no supporting documents this fact brave guy with normal volunteer accreditation and not provided, and therefore left to eliminate the threat of terrorism in another place.

Rigor tolerance in mixed zone did not come out of nowhere. The fact that places it redeemed the world's leading media for huge money. And if we penetrate any outsider and an exclusive photo or remove a hidden camera interview with an athlete, and then publish it, multimillion-dollar lawsuits Olympics organizing committee can not be avoided.

Work in the mixed zone in the race involves not only verification of journalist. Sometimes volunteers are forced to act as interpreters. Many biathletes, oddly enough, have difficulty with the English language and can only express himself in his own. Motley army of journalists, where there are French, Norwegians, Canadians, Germans and other burzhuiny, not with your hands to develop rapid Russian language course for a five-minute interview. Therefore, volunteers often act as intermediaries in communication between the Russian-speaking and English-speaking athlete wordsmiths. Linguistic problem exists only in the mixed zone. As for the hall for press conferences, "Laura," he assured simultaneous translation in four languages, so there is an atmosphere of universal understanding.

Our team of assistants of the press, in addition to me, there are a few foreigners. This German Michael, for which the Sochi Olympics is not the first in his volunteer list. Thomas and Gaby from Hungary, who are a married couple. Tomas works in Hungarian television commentator ski racing, and Gabi - an employee of the Ministry of Sports of Hungary. I do not know why these people, having such capabilities, went to the Olympics as simple volunteers. However, no arrogance in their behavior not, Tomas and Gabi - very easy to communicate, friendly and hospitable people. Finally, Briton Felicity, which looks a bit like Queen Elizabeth and works at home as an English teacher. Fall, knowing that it was selected to work at the Olympic Games in Sochi, she bought a textbook Russian and became intensely he studied it. So we get a mutually beneficial exchange: we learn from Felicity reference English, and she, talking to us, practiced in Russian.

But not always work as volunteers. Sometimes you need to rest. February 4, my vacation was suddenly bright, because I managed to get a ticket to the rehearsal Freestuff the opening ceremony of the Olympics. Curators, handed us the tickets, just strictly forbidden to wear to the rehearsal volunteer form to bring cameras and mobile phones. I left as a law-abiding citizen all that stuff in the volunteer village. But on arrival "Fischt" (stadium, where the opening and closing ceremonies), it turned out that almost every other volunteer, get, like me, a free ticket to the show, dressed in colorful uniforms and is carrying on some phones. At the entrance they had not been selected, as did comments on the form. So what about his decision to leave all the gadgets in the room I was a little sorry.

To get on the podium, had to go through three cordon to check accreditations, and the last of them was a large crowd. The reason for that - the closure of two of the four gates pass the stadium. It's hard to say why it was done. Perhaps just such a cunning way organizers worked out a scenario of possible force majeure at the official opening on 7 February. Whatever it was, to "Fischt" I was just at the time of exit rehearsal teams. All official part until now had to spend in the queue. But the overall impression of the show is not spoiled. Comparing seen in rehearsal with scanned in three days on television, I came to the conclusion that many times spectacularly-looking live at the stadium, on the TV picture looks completely unnoticed. And the other - quite the opposite. Capture moments rehearsing the opening ceremony on the photo for obvious reasons it was not possible. However, you probably all have seen themselves on Friday. As for volunteers living in our village, many watching the opening directly in the dining room, which established several large LCD-monitors.

Posted in [mergetime] 1392129078 [/ mergetime]
To be continued. Source

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting