Tver 100 years (15 photos)

I am sure many of you know who is Sergey Prokudin-Gorsky, but I still remind you. Prokudin-Gorsky is a pioneer of color photography in Russia. For 10 years, he has traveled much of the Empire on behalf of Nicholas II, putting aim to capture his day Russia in color photography. For color images he made three of the same frame with the use of different filters, and then use the projector to receive a color picture. This will be interesting - will find all biography and history of the fate of his collection on Wikipedia. Unfortunately some of the pictures (and they are stored in the Library of Congress) had incorrect reference to the place, and some even were not installed. However, when the case took enthusiasts were closed many white spots. Thus, it became clear that the pictures Tver not 2-3 as previously thought, but a few more.

Yesterday I walked with soap and photographed the same place Tver, who in 1910 photographed Prokudin-Gorsky. Under the cut - a selection of photos of Tver with a difference of 100 years.

The most famous picture that everyone knew the old bridge:

Now it looks like this. Volga has become much wider, this is due to the advent of dams and reservoirs. In fact, here in this place is still worth a marina and pleasure boats moor. But it usually happens in the summer.
2010:

The mouth of the Volga and Tvertsa, 1910.
In the center - Catherine's church. It is noteworthy that remained shestiokonny small house on the right)

The same angle, 2010:

Now this embankment Athanasius Nikitin. In drafting the first line of houses participated Kazakov and Rossi, the then budding, little-known architects.
1910:

2010. Preserved almost all the buildings that were in the frame on the other side. True Art School (red brick building) blocks the Anchor restaurant. But the second line of buildings (behind the church) not survived. Now there are high-rise residential buildings. Before the Church of the Ascension on the waterfront is a monument to Tver merchant Athanasius Nikitin. Incidentally compare dome of the church in this and the previous photo - it was restored recently and before the dome and bell tower were the height of one.

Coming in from the mouth Tvertsa to Old Bridge (then of course simply called Bridge) Prokudin-Gorsky turned around and took a picture of the river. 1910:

2010:

Then Sergei Mikhailovich stood on the bridge and took a picture against the current. Then it was the end of the city, on the wooden buildings were likely all sorts of suburban villages. For a long time this image could not be identified and figured largely due to the two pipes in the distance. Two tubes - it Verhnevolzhskiy Railway Materials Factory, now - Tver Carriage Works, by the way the only one in Russia where they make cars for long-distance trains.
1910:

Pipes apparently rebuilt, for some reason I could not find a position on the bridge to the pipe factory coincided with their situation. The right bank of the picture now occupies the town beach. 2010:

By the way, and at the Carriage Works too much that has survived since the times. Ten years ago there was an open day and I saw with my own eyes some machine or press in working condition marked "1896". By the way once again on the top picture Prokudin-Gorsky. Colored figures of people - this is an artifact occurred due to the fact that while a picture of me moving objects plates shifted and fell to only one of the three frames. Someone smart enough to make this GIF:

And another picture that was the most difficult for recognizers. In the catalog it was listed as "St. Nicholas Church, the village of Knots, 60 km. from Tver »:

However, historians and enthusiasts get to the truth. Comparing it with that of pre-revolutionary photography:

they concluded that this church "St. Nicholas in skits." In the right corner of the photo is visible piece of the old bridge. The church was located at the mouth of the river Tmaka, 200 meters from the High School number 6. In the 20s almost all the space occupied Stadium "Chemist" and the church was in his backyard. In the 30s, the bell tower was demolished, and in the 1954th - the church as a whole. In its place was built the administrative building of the stadium, and now it looks like this place:

That seems to be all :)
Could not find a pair just for this shot in 1910:

To repeat it - you must climb to the roof of Zemsky female teachers' school named after Maksimovic (now - the Rector and the Faculty of History of the Tver State University on the street. Zhelyabov d.33), but I am not so arrogant :(

Author

Tags

See also

New and interesting