Champions who sold their gold medals

Against the background of hype around the Olympics, it is no wonder to forget that in life there are things more important than gold medals. Below you will find stories of athletes who have had a good reason to sell hard-earned precious metal.

1. Mark Wells, United States, 1980. Hockey

One can only wonder what any athlete should say goodbye to any gold medal, and even more so if this victory is associated with such a historical and emotional victory. Wells left her easy: he sold the medal to pay for the treatment of a rare genetic disease that caused damage to the spinal cord. He sold the medal to a private collector, who in turn sold it through the auction house for 310 thousand 700 dollars in 2010. The medal attached note read as follows:

"This gold medal symbolizes my personal accomplishments and achievements of our team. Since I became one of only twenty players who have received this gold medal, with February 1980, she held a special place in my heart. When I decided to sell it, and decided that as long as she's with me, I will not remove it from the neck. I even slept with this medal for the past two weeks ... I hope you will cherish it as well as I did ".

2. Wladimir Klitschko, Ukraine, 1996. Boxing

Games in Atlanta marked the first participation of Ukraine in the Olympics as an independent state. Therefore, a gold medal, received "Steel Hammer" was a truly historic event. However, for most young athletes to help Klitschko was more important. His prize was auctioned off in 2012, bringing a million dollars Klitschko Brothers Foundation, which helps fund children's sports camps and the necessary sports equipment. Buyer was a mysterious benefactor, who immediately returned to its rightful owner medal.

3. Anthony Ervin, United States, 2000. Swimming

Anthony Ervin won gold in the swim 50 meters freestyle at the Sydney Olympics in 2000. Despite this success, he retired from the sport in 2003 at the age of 22, saying that he "had to deal with my life ... without hindrance and without being bound by the discipline and the need to compete and remain professional." He placed his medal eBay in 2004, and subsequently donated the proceeds of 17 thousand 101 dollar in favor of the victims of the earthquake in the Indian Ocean. Erwin again participated in the 50-meter swim in 2012, but did not get a medal.

4. Otylia Jędrzejczak, Poland, 2004. Swimming

Even without going through qualifying for the Olympic Games in Athens 10 years ago, Endzheychak stated that any win gold medals she would donate to charity. As soon she was on the podium of the winner, then kept her promise. Her medal for the 200-meter butterfly swimming style has been given for more than $ 80tysyach dollars. The sum was transferred to the Polish charity that helps children with leukemia. "I do not need a medal to remember," - she said. - "I know that I am the Olympic champion. It's in my heart. "

And the one who tried to Tommy Smith, United States, 1968. Athletics

Even if you do not know the name of Tommy Smith, you've probably seen him, he was one of two Americans, silently raised his fist in a black glove in protest against the discrimination of blacks (Black Power salute) at the award ceremony in the 200-meter race. Despite the importance of this coin, he put it up for auction. Twice.

In 2000, Smith and his wife, Deloiz Jordan-Smith, created a website with an auction of memorabilia athlete. Asking price at that time was $ 500 thousand, although Smith acknowledged that the chances that someone will pay such amounts have been, frankly, not great.

He doubted not in vain. Ten years later, Smith newly launched auction; This time, starting bids with the amount of 250 thousand dollars. Many believe that Smith needed the money to live on, but the co-author of the autobiography Smith of 2007, David Steele, was of a different opinion.

"I know that he wants to establish a youth sports organization, and a good portion of the proceeds will go just that," - said Gary J.. Zimet, a spokesman for the auction house Moments in Time. Smith himself did not make any statements on this topic.

Auction soon ceased to cover the news, and there is no information about how someone even offered a discounted price. However, the medal disappeared from the market, so if you want to imagine an Olympic medal (and you have an extra $ 250 thousand), you can write to him - maybe you are lucky?

Tags

See also

New and interesting