New York, Colorado, Denver, Miami.

Returned from a trip to the US, where they spent almost three weeks. While still fresh memories, I decided to share their opinions about this country, maybe it will be interesting to community members. At first thought to divide facts into two groups: positive and negative, but then decided to give all together, so it will be better.
4 days we spent in New York, 6 days in Colorado and around Denver week in Miami.

So, the facts:

1. In the US, you will not die of thirst - water is free. Besides the fact that everywhere you can find drinking fountains, you can also request a free water in any institution catering. That is, there is nothing stopping you, for example, go to Starbucks and ask for a glass of ice water - it will all be free.

2. All all drink with ice - drinks with ice is the norm. When you come somewhere, you default poured ice water. The hotels are equipped with a refrigerator icemaker and supermarkets are also vending machines for food ice.

3. In the United States really all greet and smile. Someone is making sincere, some do not, but the fact remains, wherever you come from whoever you do not accidentally met, all you smile and ask how things are. Sit in a taxi - probably with you to discuss the weather and ask how you came to the cafe - the waiter asks, how was your day and wish good evening, returned to the hotel - say hello and ask how was your day.

4. English language - not mandatory. Even if you are not the best English, can be quite complexes about it. Especially if we talk about large cities or tourist (New York, Miami) there is a confusion of tongues, people such emphasis that we are with your English, you can say, just shone. Surprised that many of those that have long been living in the United States are citizens of this country do not bother to learn the language. In Denver, I was taking a taxi driver - he was an Ethiopian, English he was just awful. Was in full confidence that he had arrived recently, it appeared more than 20 years ago, and nothing - works.

5. Taxi is very expensive. It was a surprise for us. 30 km. in the same direction, the same to another - if you pay $ 120. This implies the following fact.

6. In the US, it is impossible not to be able to drive a car, if you're not in a big city with the development of public transport. So in Colorado of the natural attractions we have not looked at, as a car, we could not take a (little driving experience), and insanely expensive taxi. We lived at 15 km. from the center of Denver (Colorado), respectively, we had to take a taxi to go to the city zoo, water park and the local amphitheater. This relatively Nedalniy travel in one direction is not more than 30 minutes. Just a taxi we paid $ 280 - imagine ?! In three trips there - back ?! In general, without a car rental there is not possible to set a target next trip definitely get behind the wheel.

7. The price does not include taxes. We are accustomed to the fact that when you come to the store or in a cafe and look at the price tag, you see the final price. There is absolutely not true - price does not include tax, and for different states, cities tax is also different. In this regard, it is very difficult to plan ahead is the budget.

8. Tipping is optional, high and sometimes already included in the price. Interesting point, wherever you go, it is expected that you will leave as a tip, and by default, and surprisingly, the highest tip. Illustrate a taxi after a trip in the event that you pay the card, then you have three possibilities to thank the taxi driver a tip - 12%, 17% tip and tip 22%. Options - not without tipping. Cafe tip if included in the bill, is 18%. If not included, is expected at the same level (we usually leave 10-15%).

9. Everywhere you can pay by card, absolutely everywhere. And, apparently, the majority have only card and pay. In the taxi, subway, cafes, supermarkets - everywhere there are terminals for payment - great to be honest. And for the tip always have the option (I had always thought, and how to leave a tip if pay card), you pay during field blank as to leave a tip, or choose from a range of options (as in the case of a taxi).

10. Skyscrapers in New York, drop dead! Seriously, very impressive. I always when I go to look at three rubles and Moscow City think, wow, how cool! So all of New York on the order steeper, and what kinds from height!

11. Broadway and Times Square drop dead! Much more impressive live than on TV. I have never in my life seen such a high quality advertising permission for such a large screen size. In the evening, come out of the theater - brighter than the day.

12. Persons with disabilities in the United States - not disabled, and ordinary people - everything is so convenient to do for them - automatic doors, lifts-all there, everything is convenient.

13. Metro in New York terrible, compared with Moscow is very ugly - very functional, dirty and stuffy at the stations themselves but! Very cool inside the train - air conditioning works fine.

14. Another of the people. Most initially very friendly. Even if they are wrong, always first say, I'm sorry, just in case. And even the children, it seems to be brought up from childhood. Someone accidentally walked past you - I'm sorry, you're someone accidentally pushed? - First of all say sorry to you. On the street, you have trouble - people are always ready to help with a smile.

15. Dress up as everyone who wants fashionistas, fashionistas can not see all mixed up. I have the feeling that this is not such an important issue for most. Dressed - and dressed. We are in Denver for three days were at an educational conference for teachers of North America, so there was someone in T-shirts, shorts someone who is in a suit, who in overalls. I just imagine how much to show off in the clothes we have, if it took place somewhere in Russia.

16. In New York, eat in less expensive decent place in Miami too expensive. Dinner for two with no frills costs us at least $ 100 (do not forget the tax and gratuity of 18%). On the other hand you can eat and cheap (in a diner and fast food). Brighton - Beach we overeat to belly chicken ala Rostiks for two + stake for $ 11 (including tax already).

17. Obese people much more visual than in Russia. On the other hand people who are engaged actively in sports is much more than in Russia. In New York, our hotel is across from Central Park - every day there are crowds of people running, aerobics, yoga, team games - beauty!

18. In New York, on the street you can meet people of all nationalities and races, and there is less than half white. Taxi drivers are mostly Hindus. In Denver contrary Black virtually invisible, one white. In Miami, on the street mostly heard the Spanish language and meet swarthy characters.

19. Miami has nothing to do without a car, because there's only beach, ocean, unfortunately, dirty - lots of seaweed and household garbage, but very warm.

20. In New York, just wonderful museums, and in general it takes a lot of time, as indeed are many places that are a must-visit. 4 days we did not have.

21. Are there any men on the beaches wear long shorts - melting to his knees! In the water park, I was like a white crow in their normal swimming trunks - shorts, all staring at me and point the finger. Had to urgently put on his usual shorts, not for swimming.

22. A trip to the United States - never a budget. Therefore, I see three possible targets for a trip to work - a penny (not for nothing that many students travel to the US under the program work and travel), a business trip, and expensive vacation. Honestly, if we had only a beach holiday, we probably would not have thought of Miami, where there are options closer to affordable, quality, and then it was just a business trip at the same time, and at the same time look

In general, summing up, the United States - is not a panacea, a very large country with their pros and cons, that there is good, something bad, but overall, we really liked it - for myself, I answered the question of why so many people hurry there.

Tags

See also

New and interesting